Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Insanity

 

Bedlam

I've said "insanity" during a buzzer-beating shot before.

It was Dave McClure of Trinity Catholic on a layup at Greenwich High School in 2002.

"McClure with no time!" I exclaimed. "Insanity!"

I didn't love it but others did. My old hockey partner, John Spang, called it a favorite of his.

Insanity reappeared last night.

Fairfield Prep and Norwich Free Academy battled in the CIAC Div I quarterfinals at Fairfield Warde last night.

NFA built up a seven-point lead before the Jesuits began to come back.

The tension in the room was incredible. While Prep's "bomb squad" is always present, a strong showing made the drive from Norwich to support the Wildcats.

Things reached their crescendo as Prep mounted a late rally.

A one-and-one opportunity sat in the way of improving the NFA lead to three but the front end was missed.

It was now on Prep to go win it but, first, they needed the rebound.

Leave that to Ryan Preisano, who hauled it in and moved up the floor. NFA didn't initiate contact.

Preisano (I know I said "Pres-ee-ah-no" at least once, sorry) turned and set himself outside the arc.

He let it fly.

By this time, I stood on top of the riser that had been placed behind the scorer's table. I wanted to make sure I had a good view with no obstructions from the crowd, officials, or players.

The ball sailed.

Time stands still in that moment. You aren't as concerned with "nailing" the call as you are getting it right. You want to do it all justice.

The line towards the basket was good.

Then?

Swish.

The first thing, for me, was to report the obvious. Oh, it was good. That's for sure.

Prep 57, NFA 55.

The tide of red-clad Prep fans exploded out of the stands. PA announcer Eric Scholl stood no chance of keeping the bomb squad off the floor.

In that moment, I looked for words. No question I had Vin Scully in my mind telling me to lay out, or "shut up."

Still, I had one thing to add: "Ryan Preisano! It's insanity in here!"

It was.

My mind goes to, well, everything. Be good to the NFA kids. Win with dignity and enthusiasm and sportsmanship. Make sure nobody gets hurt!

It was all good and I stood and watched -- Scully-style -- for 38 seconds before I finally opened my mouth again.

"One for the ages. At the buzzer. Ryan Preisano -- the 6-4 junior -- with nerves of steel drains a three-pointer to win 57 to 55 and put Fairfield Prep in the semifinals."

I finished. I listened to the call a few times. I played it for a few people, including Shawn Sailer.

I watched as Preisano emerged from the locker room to applause some 10 minutes after everything had ended.

That's when I walked out to the car. Then it hit me. I texted Kevin Devaney Jr to make sure the Local Live coverage made sure it went out on social media.

Then I went and grabbed dinner where the concept of it being sent to ESPN comes up. Personally, I thought nothing of it, but thought it would be great for everyone involved. Still, as history has shown, I had no expectation of hearing my voice. My experience with the YES Network taught me that.

As a side note, I did the game (and the Berlin/Kolbe Cathedral game before it, not to mention two games last week) as a favor. I did it for fun. I like Eric and his family and the people around Fairfield have been kind to me. Beyond that, Eric bought me dinner which I greatly appreciated.

While at dinner, a request showed up from ESPN on Twitter to use the video that Kevin had posted.

I drove home. It was time to edit the insanity.

Then Eric Scholl texted me.

Not only did he see the shot on "SportsCenter" but it was the number one play in their top 10. It was just past midnight when I found out.

Today has been a whirlwind of texts, tweets, and personal messages. The response has been incredible. The experience has been humbling.

Still, at the end of the day, Ryan Preisano shot the ball. Fairfield Prep won. Justin DeVellis and Dan Gardella and Local Live shot video. So did the social media account for Fairfield Prep.

I talked. That's all.

To that end, Kevin's KDJ Media account was credited and so were News 12 (Justin) and Dan. In the first airing on ESPN, I was called the PA announcer (full disclosure, Eric did PA and he's incredible at it). By the time I saw it live at 8 am I was no longer that. 

Here it is.

It was insanity. That was really it.

Just insane.

No comments: