Thursday, March 03, 2022

Post, Take Two


The post was written. 

I walked away from it.

I erased it just now.

I wrote it hours ago and decided to let it marinate. It was more grumbling about the broadcasting world.

And a reminder that I need to just focus on what I can control.

But the whole thing got blown up anyway so the point now is moot.

Instead, I will marvel at the joy I felt calling the FCIAC basketball championship tonight and the amount of fun I'm having during these couple of crazy weeks.

I'm close to telling you about at least one more night of fun (next week) but that's all got to get locked in.

I'm off to Atlantic City in the morning for New Jersey wrestling.

Imagine that. Me, the wrestling announcer. That's probably even more humorous than my broadcasting a lot of sports.

My favorite to talk about is field hockey because the first field hockey game I ever broadcast was the first field hockey game I'd ever been to. I taught myself what I could via a YouTube video a few hours before the game.

I also learned to let the video tell more of the broadcast story, much like I do with soccer. Once I realized that I was able to handle wrestling.

Chris Erway is fantastic at it. He knows how to break it all down. I know how to let it breathe and climb in as needed. Technically great? No, certainly not, but it's the style I like.

So I'll hit the road, grab Wawa for lunch a few hours down, check into the hotel, and get to Boardwalk Hall. For those looking for me to party, well, that's likely not happening as I have to get up on Saturday and shoot to a hockey broadcast that is to be determined.

Check your local listings as always!

As for tonight, congratulations to Ridgefield High School as they won their fourth straight FCIAC championship. That has never happened -- seriously, there has never been a four-peat -- so it was cool to watch history. Honestly, it was a win-win because a Wilton victory would have been historic also. It would have been their first title.

But the Tigers had the answers late.

A collection of highlights has been posted by Ben Talbot here. Kevin Devaney Jr posted the final moments of the game here. Incidentally, having Ben and cameraman Keith Paul there just added a whole extra layer of professionalism to the broadcast. It looked crisp with replays (and I had a monitor!). It just looked fantastic.

Yes, I like this post much better than the original version.

Some energy can go so far because, in the end, you can only focus on what you can control.

I need sleep. I also probably need to prep for two games.

One of which I won't call.

Maybe I'll write from New Jersey tomorrow.

Hopefully with a Wawa sandwich nearby.

Excuse me. A hoagie.



No comments: