Tuesday, March 08, 2022

Help Wanted: To Help Broadcasters

 


I read a comment from someone else in the play-by-play business today: "What is the mediocre sports broadcasters' worst enemy? It's not weather, stats, partners, equipment--its (sic) themselves!"

Now, I'll be the first to admit this person is an insane narcissist who got run from another group for that very reason but, in this case, the blind squirrel found the nut!

The conversation went on before I chimed in -- something I wouldn't necessarily normally do. Now, one of the things they believed is "this is show business." No, it's not. It's reporting, followed by informing, educating, and only after that is it entertaining. Still, that's a nitpick point overall so I was willing to let that go. I get that sports are entertainment but that doesn't mean broadcasters are entertainers. In my opinion, we report first.

The "Clown" school doesn't fly in my opinion (and we're developing our very own in Connecticut!). That being said, being dry doesn't work. Even a lower heart-rate broadcaster needs to be balanced out somehow. However, "waka waka" wears out its welcome quickly, ladies and gentlemen.

Chemistry matters in a booth but that's a larger point for another time.

A big piece of the problem in my opinion is the egos that are coming into the business and I know we've talked about this here. I've tried to reach out to some to offer guidance and, frankly, they blew me off. 

Thanks, but no thanks. I can afford better advice.

Your knowledge base should include everyone, especially the grunts who crawl around running cable on the floor of a grimy press box while still calling a game. The attitude of only wanting to be mentored by a pro or Division I broadcaster speaks to the rampant entitlement that is flying around the business.

That's why I often laugh at those who think we should dress to impress. Sure, let me sit on these stairs in a hockey barn while wearing the suit you think will "impress."

I also laugh at those who are so determined to prep hours for a broadcast. Hours? Sure, let me dedicate that time while calling a wrestling tourney in New Jersey and driving to and from said tourney.

You have to be able to adjust on the fly. You have to be able to adlib. This stuff isn't scripted.

There's no question too many incoming "voices" simply don't know the rhythm or pattern of a broadcast. They don't know the cadence. They don't know how to tell a story. They just want numbers.

Or they simply talk over one another.

I'm offering my help, critique, criticism, and guidance.

I'm literally begging to help.

I'm proud of everyone I've worked with, whether they decided the business wasn't for them or have risen to great heights. I think it was AJ Szymanowski who once said he wanted to put together the tree of broadcasters that have worked with or learned from me. That's a nice compliment.

It's why I got into teaching. For those who think I'm mean, bitter, jealous, or whatever, I'm simply trying to make you better, and I'm tough. No question about that.

That's literally it. I'm tough. I want you to be better.

I'm protective of this business. 

So that's where I'm at tonight after watching and listening to some things over the last few days. Still, to get help, you have to be open to help. 

Building and maintaining relationships in this business is everything. As it is, I often think about how I need backups for games I can't cover but the first thing I look for is someone I can trust. Why do you think I lean on the likes of Chris Erway and Chris Kaelin and others? I trust them and am loyal to them.

The important thing is to connect with the audience. It's one thing if the audience is "so impressed" because they don't know any better but what sets the great ones apart is the feeling that you're conversing with each other.

What years of experience have taught me is that not everyone can be a play-by-play announcer or a lead broadcaster despite what they think.

So I'm here. I'm willing to help.

No comments: