Tuesday, February 02, 2021

What to talk about?

 

Isn't this how everyone records a podcast?

After (at least) three trips outside to shovel and blow snow since the beginning of the day -- and four times in the past 24 hours -- along with a podcast, a radio show, a trip to the grocery store, scheduling more podcasts, prepping for such, and whatever else I did, I'm a little flustered for a topic.

On a day in which I didn't have a deposition (and, thus, no money), I still sat in the office a lot today. Well, save for those trips to clean snow and get food.

So, I could use a suggestion.

I could write about...nah. Too long-winded.

I could go for...oh, no. Don't write about that.

But, there's that...and you run the risk of...

Blech.

It stinks to have to deal with a conscience or possibly keep a lawyer on retainer or whatever fallout you'll deal with because you've offended someone.

Ah to write completely fearlessly, like in ye olden days of thine blog.

Like, I watched the virtual Groundhog Day from Punxsatwany, PA this morning. I have thoughts. They will no doubt offend and I'm too wiped out to sanitize it.

So, let's not do that.

Turning serious for a moment, I have a friend that could use some positive vibes tonight (or however you handle such things). Lest you have any doubt, COVID is quite real in this case and that's really all I can tell you because it's their story. I learned of it this morning and will say I'm obviously thinking whatever good I can offer.

Speaking of positive vibes and "it's their story," send some love out to Ohio for Mike and Steph Hirn. Their news is all good and now we just await the official word!

Tonight is Rob Returns to the Booth Eve! I've been prepping a bit but the real work comes tomorrow. As of this time, I don't have rosters or pronunciations or COVID protocols. I have, basically, nothing, and I'm content with this.

If you don't know by now, I believe that it is absolutely crucial to not panic over the details of preparation for a broadcast. Why? Because all of that can go out the window at a moment's notice, and if you're not mentally prepared to adjust, you'll suffer in the long run.

So, first, I made sure the equipment is ready. It's packed and sitting to my left. I'll have at least two mixers traveling with me (and probably more) along with myriad cables and headsets and microphones. I'll grab my computer in the morning.

I'll print up my scorecard and pull together whatever notes I can.

If by some chance I don't have a roster by the time I leave the house, then I'll make it work when I get there.

The point is I'll be prepared to adjust. Many don't do that.

I've done this too long, friends. I know the drill and have learned there are others in this profession who would freak out if it happened to them. At one time, that would have been me, but I've learned that one of my selling points is my ability to make it work.

It will all be OK. Then it's up to me to make it all sound OK.

I'll be nervous. Good nervous though, and I think that's normal, at least for me. They are nerves that keep me humble but still striving for the goal of a broadcast people can trust and enjoy.

I'll report it.

I'll inform.

I'll educate.

I'll enlighten.

I'll entertain.

And I've done this for a long time. It's not rocket science and I will endeavor to not make it into rocket science.

Seriously. I can't wait. I probably cost myself a day of work (today, to be exact) because of it, but it's OK. We're surviving and tomorrow we get back to where we once belonged.


No comments: