Sunday, February 28, 2021

Tell your friends to listen and watch!

Alumni Hall, Dec 2017

As I've said in recent times, I go where I'm wanted.

Brunswick wants me, so I've already called four games for their hockey team and there are six more beginning next Saturday.

Fairfield Prep wants me, at least for basketball, so the headset (and other necessary equipment) will head to Alumni Hall tomorrow night.

It's only because it came together so late that I can't do more, as they asked for a few other games this week.

East Texas Baptist University hockey is interested in having me come to Texas (!) and if it works out, I'll go.

And, of course, there's that baseball team in May.

And I know Mahopac baseball wants me (and so did their hockey team) but some of this stuff is also out of the control of those who would like to make those decisions.

But, let's circle back to Fairfield Prep. The thing is they asked, so I'm making it work. Part of my goal is to demonstrate how much better a game sounds and looks, especially with a voice that is on-site. There's a value to it, as people from Brunswick have said to me.

Hopefully, they'll view it as sounding professional also.

There's still a job like that for me out there. I still believe that. Call the games and teach the students how to do it (and other duties).

I popped on a game before I started writing. Having recently turned over a new leaf I will offer that the individual could use a mentor. I'm here, as I've said.

If it works out, I'll be at Trumbull on Friday for basketball.

But I've got a good one tomorrow in the SCC between Prep and Notre Dame of West Haven and I look forward to it. ND is perfect on the year and Prep has looked good also.

Thanks to Eric Scholl and Garrett Hickey for being fans of my work and pushing to make this happen. I'm pleased to do it for them.

With that said, I'll be rolling in with a computer that has a new hard drive in it.

You see, I don't consider myself very handy. I can "MacGyver" stuff and I try to fix things but in reality, my big ideas are often just that. My trusty MacBook had become anything but. I first tried to give it new life with a memory boost roughly a year ago. It helped but it certainly didn't stop the constant "rainbow spinning wheel of death."

I read that it likely could use a new hard drive.

Again, I did my usual obsessive research. I talked to people.

Then, the other night, I purchased one on a whim.

As I alluded to last night, the first installation didn't exactly go well. I needed to be able to reboot with a new installation of the operating system. Plus there's a specific tool for some Apple screws.

As I wrote, I decided to sleep on it.

I started early this morning. Things didn't quite seem right. 

So, I ran to Kohl's and returned the incorrect power cable I bought (super easy to do!), stopped at Home Depot to pick up the right tool for the Apple Screws ($6), and came home. Then I got to work.

It took some trial. Error. Patience.

I watched this thing called YANKEE BASEBALL (WOOOOOOO!) as I worked. I did laundry. The Cat continued to make sure I didn't throw him out (we're good -- I promise).

There was more trial and error and fear that this would be a bust. Maybe I'd have to get help.

And then it all seemed to come together. The laptop is sitting right next to me, humming away.

All of the files that I backed up have been reinstalled. A brand-new solid-state drive is working, installed by me. What that means is, anyone can do it.

Should it all be OK, it will be the means that I bring you Fairfield Prep and ND-West Haven tomorrow night.

And, me being me, I'll have backups with me in case it doesn't work.

Game time is 7:00 p.m. There is a video stream and, of course, you can hear the audio at mixlr.com/robcasting-radio.

No comments: