Tuesday, February 09, 2021

The picture say a lot

Photo by Chellise and Micahel Photography, Westerlo, NY, 8/21/20

Maybe I've posted this picture before. I honestly don't remember.

It was late in the afternoon of Friday, Aug 21, 2020.

We were at Meaghan and Eric's wedding and we needed to arrive before many of the guests because my mother was needed for pictures with the bride and groom. Sure, Sean and I were welcomed but we know Mom was the necessary star of the show. It's why we drove up a day early -- so she could be at the rehearsal dinner in Albany. I mean, all of us could be there and we were wanted there, but don't kid yourself. I knew the deal.

Anyway, earlier that day, there was some debate about taking an Uber to the wedding. Mostly, the debate came from me. I felt fine and knew I could be responsible.

"Look," Mom told me. "You can relax this way."

Others told me the windy roads of Albany County, NY might be troublesome if I were unfamiliar with them. And, as was being implied, what if I had imbibed a little?

So, they won. We had an incredibly cool Uber driver who picked us up at the Hampton Inn and allowed Mom to ride upfront with him.

"I'm really not supposed to do that," he said, alluding to social distancing, "but I don't see any harm."

In other words, Nancy Lee Adams was the belle of the ball (besides the bride, of course).

"Dat's what's up," he kept saying as he chatted our ears off.

Again, I'm sure I've told some of these stories, yet tonight, I don't care if I repeat them.

At the site of the wedding, in Westerlo, NY, things proceeded as scheduled. The ladies were being pampered and the men were doing whatever the men do, which no doubt included taking care of baby Carson, Meaghan and Eric's adorable son.

We pulled up and got out of the car. Our driver was leaving us to drive to Pittsfield, MA to pick up his child for the weekend.

"Dat's what's up."

The duo from Chellise and Micahel Photography were leading Eric and Meaghan around. I snagged a picture of them in a natural moment but didn't interrupt any of the proceedings.

Mindful of Mom, who was clearly tired after a week of dialysis (that Mon, Tue, and Thu before we left) along with the trip, we kept a watchful eye on her, finding her a chair to sit on as we moved to where the family pictures would take place.

Keep in mind Mom also had us take her to Target that morning so she could shop.

As she watched the pictures being taken, she eventually struck up a conversation with one of the photographers.

"Can I ask you a favor?" she asked. "Would you take a picture of me with my son and grandson? They're my partners in crime."

The photographers -- one with the professional camera and the other filming video -- were all too happy to oblige. Of course, they're business people and hope to make a sale, but they were also very charming and decent.

But, yes, they'd make a sale. It took me five months since the wedding -- and four months after Mom's passing -- to take my debit card out and buy two copies.

When I saw the proof of the picture back in the late fall, it was exactly what Mom wanted. There we are -- her chauffeur and his assistant. One who was slightly annoyed to not have a suit jacket with him after discovering his father did bring a jacket.

But Mom is in her glory and the smiles on all of our faces make it a special moment. I knew all along we'd buy a copy of that picture, but I didn't expect it to take on a whole new poignancy just two weeks later.

They arrived yesterday, and I saw the mailman step out of his van with a special package that he left at the garage door.

I brought them inside and, today, I went to Target where I picked up two frames -- one for Sean and one for me.


When Sean gets here on Friday, he'll find his simple white-framed copy hanging on a hook just inside the door of his bedroom. He can look at it every time he leaves the room and I hope it gives him a measure of peace and love and a reminder of what a strong relationship he had with his grandmother.

Mine is also hanging up and I'll see it whenever I'm in my bedroom.

In her own way, she can haunt me.

But, in this case, it will bring me a smile.

The picture, and her willingness to ask for it, was like a last gift; as if she wanted this to be the way to remember the special bond the three of us had, especially in the final decade of her life.

It wasn't always easy (it never is) but let's leave those stories for another time.

We'd enjoy ourselves that night with laughter and tears (I really missed my dad that night for some reason and I think I have insight onto why now) and a few beverages as well, thus making that Uber a wise call.

The next morning, I took Sean to his mother's house so he could get ready to start college and I took Mom to dialysis again.

As I told you, the events of Summer, 2000 -- Sean's graduation and the wedding -- were her goals.

Within two weeks she was gone.

And now we have a picture that speaks to the end of the days when we were her partners in crime.

No comments: