Wednesday, February 24, 2021

The "Not Tonight" series

 

Simple Minds

I think we should have a series called "Not Tonight," where I write something small because it's a daily habit and a commitment that I've made but also something is off.

In this case, I'm just tired.

Up with a job until after 2 a.m. but too wired to sleep until 3. I'm also unable to really sleep past, say, 8 a.m. under nearly any circumstances.

So, knowing I didn't have a job until close to 7 tonight, I decided to close my eyes again after breakfast. I settled down on the couch.

The phone rang.

"We need you now," came the reply.

So, I jumped up, showered, and got on the computer where, sure enough, I was the savior of a case.

It was over a few hours later when I decided I should grab some food before "Doubleheader" and the night case.

So I ran to the deli and, as I'm waiting for my food, I get a message that the night case is off.

Relieved? Well, sort of.

There's more to all of this, including having other things going on tomorrow that make it tough to take a case, so I was glad for the double duty of today.

And that's when I tried again to shut my eyes for a few minutes when...yup...my phone rang again.

Then I was grumpy for "Doubleheader" and now here I sit.

These are the days when I ponder either a full break from social media or a reduction for...reasons.

Nuisances, annoyances, hypocrisy. To start with.

Feeling like I'm just spinning my wheels.

So, yeah, "Not tonight."

*****

Oh, why do I have Simple Mids at the top of the post?

Because a poll (it's brackets season) is running on Twitter for the "Ultimate 80s Song" and who am I to pass on that, especially after I saw that "The Power of Love" was placed as an 11 seed.

And then they lost to "You Shook Me All Night Long." I mean, really?

Anyway, I did my own mock bracket and my champion was, ultimately, "Don't You (Forget About Me)" over "In The Air Tonight." The thing about brackets can be that your ultimate song might get nudged out by something else.

There's a much longer post within that but, again, "Not tonight."

No comments: