Friday, February 19, 2021

Closer to being real

 

The 2021 New York Yankees' Organizational Broadcasters

I know I've mentioned this before, including yesterday.

But seeing my name in print as a team broadcasting "voice" and, specifically, a broadcaster in the Yankees system is just too cool. It's why I really should frame the press release that announced my joining the Renegades in 2019.

It's why I've so enjoyed the stories I've seen online and in the newspaper.

It's because I don't take any of this for granted. My story is my story and my time is now.

And today I visited a website, not expecting to show up as the updating process was going on.

I felt like a stalker as I watched the Broadcaster 411 database get changed. It's a big process and I have no idea how they do it. You can certainly suggest edits as well for the editors to review. To that end, I added my information to a master database.

But I actually gasped as I started to see things change. Keep in mind, I was already in their database for being with the Renegades last year. Soon, I was "no longer" a broadcaster in the Rays organization...

Then the Yankees team names were changed, including the Renegades...

The tension was building! It was happening! But then, Spenser Smith ("voice" of the Bradenton Marauders) stopped updating. It stopped...where I should have been entered. Look where the cursor is sitting!

I went to the mailbox.

I made a cup of coffee.

I started preparing for "Doubleheader."

I told Susan and Mike Hirn and Shawn Sailer what was going on.

I talked to Sean.

I visited with Rascal.

Was this a sign? Were the gods telling me something? Were Mel Allen and Red Barber and Frank Messer and Phil Rizzuto having second thoughts about having my name associated in any way with theirs?

No, I say. For a short while later there it was...

I was going to film it as it was typed in, but I missed it. I gasped -- again! -- when I saw it. 

For this moment, even if it all somehow falls apart, I am recognized in a database as a broadcaster in the New York Yankees organization.

The New York Yankees, who first connected me to this game before probably most of the broadcasters in the league were even a thought (yes, I know I'll be everyone's parent/grandfather/crazy uncle).

I realize it says "'21" next to my name, and I suggested changing that to '20 since I had the job for the 2020 season that wasn't. Just for consistency but hardly a hill to die on.

Those edits will soon all be accepted (or not) and the database will settle down. All of those red/pink items will settle into glorious black.

It will be real in an unofficial capacity. It's silly to care but I'm still a kid at heart. In fact, I appreciate it probably even more.

It's another step to keep me warm.

There are only 74 days until first pitch.

*****
I'll do an update tomorrow but, effective now, I'm "on vacation" until Sunday.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'll be back later Sunday and truly hit the ground running, heading towards likely zombie status on Monday.

I'll explain all as we go along but I'm looking forward to what I hope are two nice days with Sean, in part to celebrate his birthday (it's next Tuesday) and honor a few commitments.

That's what we call "a tease."

No comments: