Monday, February 01, 2021

Play ball soon?

 

2016: Yankee Stadium under a blanket of snow (courtesy Alex Rodriguez on Twitter)

Baseball, once again, is making the wrong kind of news.

The short version is that MLB wants to back up the start of spring training by a month. That would obviously mean a later start for the regular season.

The players association is against the plan.

Of course, money is at the heart of the whole thing. MLB and the owners want to delay the start of the season to allow more time for fans to be in the stands. The players don't like the offer for their own monetary reasons.

If you haven't heard, allow me to tell you that sports, you know...

#ItsABusiness

But individuals make statements on social media about not missing it. That, of course, makes it clear that you're probably not the fan that you thought you might be.

I've missed the sport since the Dodgers were dancing on the field in Texas last October and Justin Turner was inciting a COVID controversy.

Sure, I love football and hockey and basketball. I've watched all of them and continue to do so.

But my world feels complete when baseball is a part of it.

I watched plenty of baseball in 2020. I watched as much of the playoffs as I could -- on my iPad, iPhone, computer, and TV, as well as listen on various devices. Considering what we had to do to survive, it was better than nothing.

My behavior has been consistent.

I've said it all along: the Los Angeles Dodgers are the legitimate World Series Champions. They earned the trophy and the rings and the legacy of a championship. This is how it played out for 2020 and, to me, it was better than nothing.

If you choose to deny that or didn't watch any of it because you're in some kind of "my way or the highway" snit, then the game will roll on without you.

You see, wool uniforms aren't coming back (though they can still be purchased and I'd love to have one).

Players don't leave their gloves in the field anymore or put bubble gum on the squatchee (the button on the top of a cap).

The Dodgers don't play in Brooklyn. The Giants left Manhattan. The Braves departed Boston and then Milwaukee. The Astros are in the American League and the Brewers are in the National League.

All of these things exist as is.

Did I like the changes in baseball last year? No, but it's that or nothing. So the runner is on second base to start extra innings and the 7-inning doubleheaders exist.

It's what we had to do to survive.

Do I like politics in sports? Not really but others opted out of sports due to that. Again, I get it but that's just not me.

Sports -- baseball -- have been a huge part of my life. I look out the window so often waiting for warmer temperatures and the sound of the bat hitting a ball.

That being said, it could be any sport, but we're talking baseball here so bear with me.

But to somehow be someone who reports on the game and says you don't watch and don't miss it?  Wow, that's troublesome.

Don't misunderstand me. I'm counting the hours to hockey on Wednesday at Brunswick. I've already been asked to call some Trumbull basketball games. Assuming I'm available, of course I'm going to.

I'm raring to go!

And I'm waiting patiently (impatiently, who are we kidding?) baseball to return.

Because I'm a fan. A broadcaster. A writer. 

As curmudgeonly as one might think I am, I'm a positively giddy kid by comparison.

It takes a lot to get me to give up on these things. George Steinbrenner nearly sent me over the edge a few times, and I fear any move to New Jersey would have been deadly. But, only in terms of the Yankees. I'll always love the game, and I don't think there's much that can make me stop. Same for all other sports.

You've got me. I'm yours.

You had me at "PLAY BALL!"

No comments: