Thursday, February 04, 2021

A letter to a young lady

 


Avery Mae-Ann Hirn
Hospital
Ohio, USA
Feb 4, 2021


Dear Ms. Hirn:

Hi there. Perhaps you've heard about me by now but, if not, I'm a friend of your dads and I know your mom by association with your father. In any event, welcome to the world!

Someday, you'll read this and wonder exactly what in the fresh he11 was going on back in 2021 and I don't really blame you.

The first thing you need you to know, as you're currently flying around in your self-driving aeromobile (I think you were just passed by a Delorean), is that 2021 was the back end of a crazy time. Literally, crazy. We had a madman who was on this thing called "Twitter" and he said a lot of inflammatory things. Plus there was this riot about a month before you were born. 

Things as you were born were "calmer" but, really, were they? I guess time will tell.

I hope someone actually teaches you this in your history class.

Then there was the whole COVID thing, Avery. Your parents, me, my loved ones, and so on dealt with the threat of a virus every day that seemed mighty dangerous. And so, by the time you were born, your parents were dealing with masks and extra security and protocols to make sure they were safe, the medical staff was safe, and -- most of all -- you were safe as you made your grand entrance to the Buckeye State!

You come from good stock, my friend. I know your parents and I know they dealt with some big losses over the last few years. I realize you've lost grandparents that you're going to get to know via your mom and dad. Take it from me, Avery, love them through those stories and pictures. Two of my grandparents died roughly seven years before I was born. I ate up the stories and the grainy movies (the quality of the images you'll see will be much better). My son didn't get to meet his grandfather -- my dad -- but you better believe I showed him pictures and told him stories. Your parents are sad that those who have passed didn't get to meet you. Give them the hugs to make sure they know that you understand.

You'll hear a lot about this big, scary world. Don't be overwhelmed. Listen to your parents and people they teach you to trust. You'll make your way in it. There's a lot to see in Ohio and beyond, and your parents are going to give you such love to make sure the world is safe for you.

They'll teach you to make good decisions and you'll build a safe network.

You might hear about this social media thing that we had in 2021. It's how I came to know your dad and, to an extent, your mom. They couldn't wait for this special day. Since I'm a dad, and I know what this is all like (I had an 18-year head start over your father), your dad and I spent plenty of time on the topic of fatherhood. Few things -- really -- have ever made me happier than being a dad. No matter what, I played a role in creating and raising a good man.

Your dad is going to work to make you the best young lady possible.

Oh, it won't be all perfect. It never is. They're going to mess up and you're going to mess up (maybe you already have). You'll find the grace to move forward. That's how it works.

My own son was born in 2002, roughly five months after something called "September 11" which was more than just a date on a calendar. It was chaos and, really, the worst day many of us might ever know. So, shortly after that, I wrote a letter to my son to tell him what that was really like. I wanted it to be a time capsule for him later in life.

I offer this to you, Ms. Avery, as a welcome gift.

Some will say this is the worst time in our history. It's the worst time in that everything was reported. Prior to, say, 1996, not everything was easily accessible. Sure, we have had TV for years now and we had this thing called "radio" before that, but the information wasn't immediate! That's a major blessing and a curse but it does teach you a certain perspective. At least, it did teach me that.

For now, as you enter this world (or later on, as you're flying in that aeromobile), just enjoy life. Let your parents sweat the big stuff. Honor them. Respect them. Learn from them. Then do the same in school. Make of your life what you want. Realize that you can be -- literally -- anything, and don't let anyone else tell you otherwise.

While I'm writing to you a day after you were born you could read this at any time, and you can know that I'll always be around. I'm sure your dad will tell you how to reach me. Who knows how we'll be communicating by the time you'd want to do that! I suppose holographically will be possible.

I welcome you. A world, hoping for big things, welcomes you.

Go get em! But, take your time.

You're going to be OK, Avery. You'll be safe and loved. Remember: that's the important thing.

With lots of love, respect, and admiration, I'm proud to call myself...

You friend,
Rob

PS, ask your dad about this team in Cleveland called the "Indians" sometime. Wish him a big "Wahoo Welcome!" Just don't say it too loudly.

No comments: