Saturday, October 05, 2024

My Kind of Saturday

 

That's Dan on the left. Not Chris Erway.

Oh, let them question my sanity.

As I type these words I'm sore and tired after calling two games today at two different sites.

I have a heavy schedule tomorrow.

But today, thankfully, went well.

Sure, it seems nuts to embrace the idea of running around like I did but I enjoy the challenge.

Heck, there was a moment as I drove across Greenwich and thought about why I do what I do.

But then I told myself I'd miss the rush of days like this if I wasn't doing it.

I left the apartment and went to Brunswick, where I went into a quiet press box to set up in the window that I've generally used for years. 

It's not that difficult. I set up my small Zoom mixer and one headset. I put a crowd mic in place and ran a cable upstairs for the videographer. 

Things were in place pretty quickly. 

I walked out, knowing I'd be back in a few hours.

Then came the drive across town, sitting at every traffic light and following every slow vehicle. But I had time.

I needed water. 

And food.

A quick stop at the nearby Stop & Shop meant I could grab some water.

Then, it was onto Cardinal Stadium where things were buzzing. A water polo tournament meant there was plenty of life in the parking lot.

I walked into the stadium, made my way upstairs, and, eventually, went into booth number 204. Dan Murphy and Sean came over a few minutes later. Sean was with us in case I needed to leave early to return to Brunswick, thus they would have to pack up the equipment. Sean would bring it home.

I showed Dan some of the intricacies of setting up and how to run things.

From there, it was food we needed and I think there was some time confusion because the usual array of food trucks were very timely in their arrival to the stadium. We each grabbed chicken nuggets and fries and headed back to the booth where we got on the air just a hair after 2:50 p.m.

Greenwich took care of business from there, blocking two punts for touchdowns and rolling to a 42-14 win.

My time to leave for Brunswick was 5 p.m. We were close to that as the third quarter ended and I thought I could finish the broadcast while still being a little bit late to leave.

Off the air, Dan said he was ready to call the action. That was enough for me, knowing it would allow me to be there for a few minutes, serving as a mentor if necessary.

Imagine that? I could help Dan as a broadcaster and I wouldn't charge him for it!

He took the balance of the game and did a good job. Eventually, we talked about a few things that I noticed but his evolution as a broadcaster has been a wonder to watch.

I shifted to doing analysis for the rest of the game. In the end, I never left early, but I found out that Dan could definitely serve as a backup for me.

From the 2024 Greenwich Football program

Earlier in the day, I was given a copy of the 2024 Greenwich Football program, a color book of pictures, ads, and other items. I have basically all of them back to 2000. A few years back, the team was kind to start including the broadcasters.

Except, it was long after the publication date when I realized they might not know that Dan is now in the booth.

So I flipped it open and, yeah, it wasn't Dan.

It was Chris Erway.

Oops. I apologized and realized we'd have to change that in 2025.

With the Greenwich game over, we packed in a few minutes and headed to the parking lot. Sean helped us get out to the car and he took off.

I was getting ready to go to Brunswick and Dan, it appeared had the broadcasting bug. He followed me over, volunteering to join me for that broadcast.

The lot at Cosby Field was overflowing but I found a space near the Hartong Rink and headed down to the booth. Dan joined a few minutes later.

Mission accomplished, we were on the air in time and called the Bruins 35-14 win.

Dan just wanted more reps and it was great. The audience wins in the long run.

I'm back home now and a few people have asked what I thought of the day. I want to say we crushed it but I'm sure it wasn't perfect.

Still, to have the day work out like that is great.

Now, it's onto tomorrow, where I have "Meet the Beatles" with guests at 9 a.m. and onto New Jersey for Rockets Hockey Club action at 3 p.m.

Oh, and the Yankees won tonight. They lead the Royals in their best of five, one game to none.

So yeah, it was a good day.

No comments: