Tuesday, October 01, 2024

Kicking Into October

 

(Photo: DeSales University)

October is upon us and life (hopefully) will get busier from here.

See, the thing is, sure I get busy but that doesn't mean I'm always working (that is, making money). Lately, things have been a bit slim.

But it is with great hope that things will pick up a bit.

Look, I was able to pay the rent today, even if wasn't how the landlord asked me to do it. She requested I pay electronically and I'm certainly all for that but, for whatever reason, it didn't work. So, I quickly wrote a check and walked it down to the post office last night. To top it off, I included a letter apologizing for the snafu. 

They should have it by tomorrow since they live across town.

Speaking of tomorrow, Sean and I will be away for a day trip as a new enterprise awaits. Through the magic of social media, I connected with DeSales University, a college near Allentown, PA when they said they had some play-by-play openings. Always in favor of building my network, I reached out and, though it took time to find a match that works, I'll call their men's soccer match tomorrow against Albright College.

So, why?

Like I said, building my network for one thing. You never know where this crazy road can lead so I embraced the idea of the road trip. It won't be a big money maker but I'll be compensated.

Oh, yeah, did I mention there's a Waffle House 10 minutes away? I probably should have added that piece of information.

So, yeah, that's happening. And, yes, that's another part of the reason I'm all for doing this. I mean, why hide it?

But it's one of those opportunities that I take on occasionally where I can only do my best but, admittedly, don't know enough. I don't know the culture or the traditions of the university yet. I can research them, sure, but it's really only through experience that I can appreciate them. It takes time to understand a program but I'll do my best.

So there will likely be some growing pains with this experience. I'm also told that their soccer setup is awkward so I have no idea what I truly getting into. I'm not sure if I can have my computer for recording the audio either.

There is a point where the elements of reporting the game kick in. With it being a video stream, the picture does the heavy work. I take a minimalist approach in this situation.

I saw a post a week ago that chastised a broadcaster for saying too much on a video broadcast. To that, I call BS.

Context is needed.

For one thing, consider the quality of the video production. That's not a knock on anyone. That's simply reality. Sometimes it's inexperience or the quality of equipment.

I know that in so many of the games that I've done on video, my detailed play-by-play is needed. That is the truth. It's why most of what I did at the HAN Network, for instance, was a hybrid radio/TV call.

Also, consider if there is a radio/audio element. Take the Renegades, for instance. We had (and still have) a radio broadcast. Those listeners can't see the game so it was my job to give as many details as possible, despite also having a video stream available.

I realize that if all things are equal, Joe Buck isn't going to call Monday Night Football with intense detail due to the equipment, people, and volume of all that are at their disposal.

What kind of setup will I have tomorrow? Well, I'll find out. If it's one camera and that cameraman is as good as the great Gustavo I work with at Brunswick, then it will be a pretty straightforward video call. 

But these are all of the unknowns that I'll learn tomorrow.

Sean and I will get a reasonable start so we can get out to Pennsylvania for a likely late breakfast/early lunch. Then we'll go to DeSales University in Center Valley to find the field, set up, and call the match. Both teams have good records so I have high hopes for a competitive contest.

Sean will either hang out with me or find other ways to keep himself occupied. But he'll be happy with the food options, given you know we'll also add Wawa to the day.

Hoping this will all be a reward for a job well done and the beginning of a new relationship.

Watch it here.

No comments: