Saturday, November 05, 2022

Senior Day and Senior Night

 


I'll admit it. I'm completely exhausted and fried.

I sort of just want to watch baseball, hope the season doesn't end tonight, and drift off to sleep.

So, let's keep things simple here.

It was the second of our football doubleheader days.

One game at Greenwich and one game at Brunswick.

Unlike the last time, I didn't go to Brunswick first to set up and leave equipment there. This time, I went straight to Greenwich High School.

I got there really early, parked my car, and went to the booth.

It, of course, was locked. The good news was it got unlocked soon after.

I set up. What used to take me an hour (no, really) now takes me mere minutes.

Then I sat down and read. I had plenty of time. Not long after Chris Erway arrived, I heard that I needed to move my car.

I confirmed if that was true. Yes, it sure was. The days of WGCH having a special parking spot are long over.

Chris and I took a walk, moved the car, and walked back into Cardinal Stadium while the senior day ceremony was going on.

As Sergot Boone was introduced, my eye shot down to the field.

Sergot is the son of Yankees manager Aaron Boone, so I looked to see if he was there.

Yankees manager Aaron Boone stands with his son and wife for a photo

Yes. For the record, he was. No, for the record, I didn't go down to see him.

As for the game? Well, Greenwich won. Easily. The final score was 59-6.

Chris and I quickly packed up and departed, though as we walked out, Chris nudged me.

Aaron Boone was right in front of us.

What would I say? That I support him (I do) but I don't understand why he went to Clarke Schmidt in Game 1 of the ALCS? Besides, I'd rather talk about Game 7 of the 2003 ALCS.

No. I walked by and we left. We were able to take a few minutes to have a small bite to eat before moving on to Brunswick.

Brunswick's senior night ceremony

Setup went easily there also.

That result was much closer and, to be honest, a better game. Brunswick won 20-16 and they had their senior night ceremony before the game.

I'd be lying if I said I felt great during the second game. I was, frankly, exhausted and felt like I couldn't coherently get words out.

But we did it. We called both games and (hopefully) did a good job.

We packed and left and said goodnight.

It's a good feeling to come home to a cat (as well as my son who has yet to notice I'm back) and stretch out in my chair after a rewarding day of a job well done.

The next game is Friday with Brunswick at Trinity-Pawling. Then, one Saturday, it's Greenwich at Boyle Stadium.

But, for now, I'm going to watch baseball.



No comments: