Wednesday, October 18, 2017

A Donut



I find that staying occupied during stressful sports events that I'm not broadcasting is the best way to handle things. The Yankees lead the Astros 4-0 in Game 5 of the ALCS. So have a blog post.

*****
I got a strange text today from Sean. He said he wanted a Krispy Kreme donut (apparently they have them at school).

Ironically, the nearest Krispy Kreme shop is in lower Manhattan (basically, it's a stand in Penn Station), or the full shop at Mohegan Sun -- 120 miles away.

"I have no money," he texted. "This is torture!"

Sigh. Well, OK. I told him I understood his pain but that there was virtually nothing I could do.

Still it was nice to hear from his at 10:52 in the morning. It was unusual, but I carried on with my day.

Later on while sitting at WGCH, my phone rang. It was Sean. He left me a message in which he said that he missed the bus and that I was "his last hope."

I don't care if he's 15 or 50. When your child needs help and you can't help, it hurts. It doesn't really matter why.

The reality was that I couldn't get to him for at least an hour (probably more, since I had two shows to cover), so I suggested his grandmother (my mom).

If mom couldn't help, well then it would be quite some time that he'd be sitting at school, and apparently he can't just get on a late bus if he missed his actual bus (OK, whatever).

Bingo. She picked him up.

"The reason I missed the bus is ironic," he texted me.

"I missed the bus because I stood on line to buy a box of donuts."

Later, he texted me to say that he was home (thanks to Granny). But there was more.

"I sent you a present."

Yep. A donut.

Sean looks out for his dad, just as I try to look out for him, and always be receptive to whatever is going on.

When he texts or calls, I respond.

Sometimes we need to count whatever blessings we have. We often need to see the positive, while being realistic.

I know I need to do that.

A donut -- a small gesture -- allows for some perspective.

Back to the Yankees.

No comments: