Monday, May 25, 2015

Memorial Day and Freedom

Old Glory, Cooperstown, NY, April 18, 2015 (Shockingly, I took that picture)
Around our slice of the world, there are parades going on.

Bands are playing. Children are smiling. Later, grills will fire up. Here in the Pac, it's 80 degrees, and I'm planning on reading before taking Sean home. If I can find some energy, I will try to clean around the house.

It's low-key, and we get to do so because of the freedom we have.

Many - on social media (and on a radio/video webstream) - have espoused that we should thank those who have defended our flag, way of life, etc for allowing us to have this freedom.

Of course many do it for show (HEY! LOOK AT ME! I'M A PATRIOT!). Others do it because it's proper. I did it during Friday's game broadcast because I wanted to reinforce it.

Again, like having the right to post on social media about religion or politics (I have very strong thoughts about this, frankly), we have freedom.

But know why we're off today. Do just a little research. Read about Sandra Ennor of Darien (Darien Times, by Aaron Marsh).

Read something to learn.

Take five minutes. Ten, maybe.

Take some time and do it.

Then go play ball or enjoy that burger, or listen to Born to Run (still, to me, the ultimate summer kickoff song).

No comments: