Thursday, February 22, 2024

Thursday's Broadcasting Story

That's where the audio was supposed to plug in. Honest.

 

I realize I write so often about my travels and travails in sports broadcasting.

To that end, I'm doing it again.

Dateline: Today, Bridgewater, NJ.

I was there for the first game of the day, between the Rockets Hockey Club and the Brooklyn Aviators.

Coming into the game, the Aviators had one win and 39 losses. Oh, they also had an overtime loss. They had been outscored 338-48.

So I knew I had to be on my game and prepared to fill in where necessary. One thing I don't do -- and won't do -- is mock a team for futility. It's disrespectful so I would do my best to tell the story based on how I saw it but would not demean them.

I was there in plenty of time with a coffee in hand as I got to work setting it up. I followed the exact directions that had been left for me and had everything set within minutes.

As game time approaches, we're told to call an operations number at FloHockey -- the streaming broadcast outlet -- to do a sound check.

Per the person on the phone, they could hear everything just fine. They could hear me.

I was ready.

I started the broadcast, always quietly running Robcasting in the background to record the game and have an audio record.

I could sense the eyes of one of the few people in the stands looking at me as the game moved along.

It sears through me.

Sure enough, the woman nearby touched me and showed me a text on her phone.

"Tell the announcer if he's there that we can't hear him."

(bleep)

I nodded that I knew because, well, I had a feeling. I was also trying to remain calm.

Something didn't feel right when I plugged the audio in. Still, FloHockey said all was well.

I got to the end of the first period and I went into overdrive. I tried different cables and adaptors but as the second period went along, I felt another tap on my arm.

Another woman. Same topic.

I nodded.

Look, I appreciate the efforts to tell us things are wrong but they also embarrass me to where I wish I could disappear in that moment. I'd be happy to be swallowed up by the Zamboni.

Eventually, I stood there and realized I was basically broadcasting to just a few souls on Robcasting. I stayed with it because that's what I do. I call the game, even if that becomes an archival recording.

I stepped away and I called FloHockey back. In fact, I missed two goals in the process.

FloHockey's staff is very supportive and nice but, ultimately, weren't helpful. The person I spoke to mentioned equipment that we didn't have. I eventually touched base with Dave, the person who brought me aboard for these games, and he and I went through things.

Of note to anyone in this spot, remaining calm is a huge help. I apologized to Dave for the problems and that was the very first thing he said to me: "Don't apologize."

These things happen.

FloHockey emailed me pictures of what they thought things should look like and I sent them pictures of what things did look like.

For the record, it was exactly how Dave told me to do it and how I had done it in the past. 

Without issue.

Ever the completist, I carried the call to the end. Rockets 8, Aviators 2. The Aviators now have one win and forty losses.

If you find the audio online in my archive, you'll hear me actually try to troubleshoot on the air at one point.

The need to complete the job won out over packing up and leaving. I believe in that.

But I was really bummed after the fact. I emailed FloHockey back and suggested they reboot everything, as Dave had said, and I sense they never did that.

I never heard back from them.

I truly appreciate Dave's attitude and how this was just one of those things that happened. How it was out of my control.

But, yeah, I was bummed.

I drove to Brunswick and hoped for better results.

I think they were much better. The Bruins won in basketball and will play in the FAA Championship Game for the third straight year. They'll try to defend the title they won in 2023.

And I'll be on that call via LocalLive.

It will be a busy few days with hockey tomorrow, maybe two basketball games on Saturday, and two more hockey games on Sunday.

Hopefully without technical issues.

But maybe the Rockets game was best because nobody had to listen to me on the video.

That's a win.

No comments: