Saturday, February 03, 2024

Awe and Wonder

 


I'd like to think, deep down, my ability as a broadcaster means that I belong in any arena.

And yet...

I was asked to call two games today at the Public vs. Catholic Hoop Showdown at Westchester County Center in White Plains. 

There were four games total but I was on for the matchup between Scarsdale and Xaverian as well as James Monrow versus Christ the King.

What pleased me -- really, really, really pleased me -- was that I've always wanted to call a game at the County Center. It's truly the cradle of Section 1 basketball and, if you don't know, I grew up in Section 1.

That's Westchester, Putnam, and Rockland counties along with a large chunk of Dutchess County.

We don't really have anything like this in Fairfield County although we have great, prestigious arenas in Bridgeport and on the campuses of Sacred Heart and Fairfield University. We have excellent large gyms and fieldhouses as well at Fairfield Warde and Wilton High Schools.

But the Westchester County Center is different. It's a destination.


I've taken note as so many big games have taken place there.

And I've been asked to call none of them.

I guess my number finally came up, especially as I've taken on calls for powerhouses like Iona Prep and Stepinac, though I have yet to call a Stepinac basketball game. That's a shame because they're having a season for the ages.

So the invitation was a huge thrill for me. Basketball has been played there for years but they've also hosted concerts, the circus, trade shows, WWE wrestling, corporate events, and lots more since it opened in 1930.

The New York Streets arena football team played there for their only season in 2019 and Sean and I were there for their first game.

Even my parents used to talk of going to events there and I thought that was about the coolest thing. I don't know that I've worked in another arena where that was possible.

So while I've been there for the Streets game, baseball card shows, a Sesame Street show for Sean, a couple of corporate events for Kraft, and even to buy tickets at the Ticketmaster window in the lobby, I'd never been for basketball.

That changed today and I was there to be a broadcaster. 


There's always apprehension. Some nerves. This is not a small gig.

To that end, I arrived at the parking lot and was told -- of course -- that my name wasn't on the list. Even though I had an email telling me that my name was on the list. However, the guy at the gate told me to try another parking lot and I might be on that list.

The parking lot he directed me to was behind the County Center near the loading dock door. It was private and a shorter walk.

Nope. I wasn't on that list either but no worry. The guard told me to come on in any way.

With the help of two guys who had just carried some things to the dumpster, I was ushered inside and was soon walking under the basket parallel to the baseline. 

The event was set up by Archbishop Stepinac High School and their head coach, Patrick Massaroni, met me at the scorer's table. Amazingly he was even familiar with my work.

Normally, I expect to be sent to the bleachers or a table in a different location but not here. I was placed at the end, where I could set up my computer and notes.


Producer/Director/Cameraman David Berry came down from the upper level to say hello and go over any concerns. We discussed the myriad promotional reads I'd need to thread in and the technical aspects of the broadcasts. All of our communication during the games would be via text.

So many times, my broadcasts are simple in that there might be a camera operator but otherwise it's my audio being sent back to a studio, be it LocalLive or WGCH. Or Robcasting, in which case I am the studio.

In this situation, the stakes are a bit different.

But, first, before the game came lunch courtesy of a voucher that Coach Massaroni gave me. That resolved one less thing to think about.

So with lunch, drinks, technical concerns, and basically everything else set, I had time to sit in my spot, make some final notes, and think.

And that's when it hits me. Kevin Devaney Jr, who gave me the gig, is basically Mr. Section 1. He has other broadcasters that he could -- and often does -- lean on.

See where this is going? Why was I here and how would I screw it up?

I'd like to think I belong on any broadcast. I'd like to think that I'd be a fine announcer for basically anyone. I'd like to tell you I believe in my talent.

Bzzzzzzt! Wrong!

There's an occasional moment of having to remind myself that I belong.

I shot a message to a few trusted souls, even going so far as to say that I knew they were going to tell me to stop. That's exactly what they did.

I'm sure I had detractors in the audience. That's fine. For that, I bring in Oscar Wilde:

"The critic has to educate the public; the artist has to educate the critic."

That, and his other great quote:

"When critics disagree the artist is in accord with himself."

I did all of the promotional reads, did an interview at halftime with the coach in the lead, and talked to the game MVP after it had concluded.


The game was incredibly well-produced as I watched it on a monitor at the table and even saw that it was on the two big screens at one end of the County Center. David had once again outdone himself and was a joy to work with. In that regard, I'm enormously proud of both broadcasts because they looked good.

I got a roughly 40-minute break after the first game ended and felt like I wanted a nap but I pulled myself together and resumed.

But I was ready for James Monroe and Christ the King. I was buoyed by the fact that I had just seen Christ the King a week earlier against Iona Prep. That meant I already had storylines and familiarity and that matters.

I'd say the second game was better for me than the first.

I guess in this business, especially with job security being what it is, I'm always sort of looking over my shoulder. Indeed, I know there have been people gunning for me for years. I know it. Heck, a few even admitted it. Sometimes, I find that funny. Other times, it gets in my head.

On days like this, the almost soul-crushing self-doubt sits down next to me for a few minutes. 

Then it lingers.

Then, eventually, it's gone.

In many ways, it's healthy because it keeps me humble and grounded as well as hungry.

And that's why I retain such a sense of joy at doing this.

I marveled at everything today.

The building! The seats! The basketball court! The scoreboard! The history! The food!

Eventually, once I started talking, it became the broadcast!

And all was mostly right in the world.

And I hope I get invited back.



No comments: