Wednesday, February 28, 2024

End of the Season

 

Oscar Miranda drives the Zamboni after the game

There's a moment where, even as a broadcaster, you still can't believe it.

The team you cover is the higher seed and, as a result, "expected to win," but we know that's so often fool's gold.

But this team was simply gold.

Still, any given Wednesday, in this case.

The sixth-seeded Salisbury Crimson Knights ended the Brunswick Bruins hockey season with a 3-1 win this evening.

The Knights won the quarterfinal matchup and next play Kimball Union on Saturday in the semifinals.

It could have been the Bruins. But that's not how it works. Salisbury played a really smart game and earned the win.

It's tough watching the team you cover lose because you build relationships with the coaches, players, and families. But, at the end of the day, you have to pack up and head home.

Sure, I was looking forward to covering the Bruins wherever they wound up, which could have gone as far as Boston. I had already offered Robcasting to the Bruins, knowing that the championships would have some kind of video streaming and I wouldn't be on that call.

So I was willing to do an audio-only call for Bruins fans. Call it an alternative broadcast. 

I truly treasure the relationship I've built with the Bruins' families and they're incredibly kind to me. There are grandparents and aunts and uncles and alumni who are tuning in and I give them my best.

But, they also think I'm a good luck charm. Indeed, the last time Brunswick played Salisbury -- just two weeks ago -- they were down 2-0 as I called basketball in the Dann Gym.

I walked upstairs, jumped on the hockey broadcast, and Brunswick scored four times after I got there. They won 4-3.

Still, we have no influence whatsoever. If we could, we'd all be rich.

I don't influence no-hitters or free throw streaks or field goals or goalie saves.

I have zero impact. I talk. I describe. I report. 

And, within reason, I don't make it about me. Let's face it, as conduits to the game, our own personalities have to drip in a bit.

But the ride is over with Brunswick hockey and basketball. I have such great respect for all involved.

Now, I'll freelance a bit with the Hudson Valley Vipers and anything else I get thrown before heading off to Florida.

Lacrosse and baseball will be waiting when I get back.

Baseball. Huh. I'm sort of fond of that sport. 

*****

With the help of Mike Buswell, I hosted a preview of the FCIAC boys basketball championship game tonight. It ran on Robcasting and Facebook Live. We recorded the Zoom video and I uploaded it to YouTube.

We think it's pretty good and worth your time. There's nothing fancy about it. It's just good content. We were blessed to have Staples head coach Dave Goldshore, Trumbull assistant coach Colin Devine, and Ludlowe head coach John Dailey join us. Staples and Trumbull meet in the championship.

I'll have the call of the game tomorrow night at 7 on YouTube and Robcasting.

No comments: