Thursday, February 29, 2024

Retirement and Reality

 

Pittsburgh Steelers radio history display at the
Hall of Honor Museum, July 2023

Bill Hilgrove announced his retirement this morning.

Unless you're a Pittsburgh Steelers fan, a University of Pittsburgh fan, or, in general, a Pittsburgher, you might not know who that is.

Bill has been a staple in Pittsburgh for over 50 years, calling a variety of sports for Pitt and, eventually, doing Steelers for 30 years. He was also the sports director at WTAE-TV at one point.

He has done a schedule that would make me jealous but, mostly, I admire it.

Sometimes he's done Pitt basketball, football, and the Steelers all in the same weekend. Beyond that, he rarely missed covering anything. He made it work.

Yes. I very much admire that. It's right up my alley.

Personally, he has kept me company on many game days when I couldn't get the Steelers on TV and, actually, sometimes even when they were.

Before the satellite and internet radio days, I remember working the radio dial to pick up a far-off Steelers radio affiliate, which was normally WWVA 1170 AM out of Wheeling, WV. Of course, it needed to be a night game to do that to have the proper atmospheric conditions.

Then, eventually, along came SiriusXM and I would listen to Bill call the action. Of course, the inimitable Myron Cope was alongside with his "Hmm hahs," "yoi's," and so on. Former Steelers Tunch Ilkin and, eventually, current partner Craig Wolfley joined Hillgove. The outstanding reporter Missi Matthews and former Steeler Max Starks rounded out the on-air squad.

Now, they'll need a new play-by-play announcer.

NFL radio crews can be quite biased and the Steelers aren't immune to that. Most of the time, it was Hillgrove who kept things close to the middle, letting his excitement come out on big plays. That's when you knew who paid his check.

But listening to the highlights of Bill calling iconic Steelers moments brought me chills. He was on for the run to Super Bowl XXX, Troy Polamalu's AFC Championship-clinching interception, the James Harrison return in Super Bowl XLIII, and the Santonio Holmes sideline catch to win that game.

As I tweeted this morning, it was through his broadcasts that I picked up a term that I've used and have given him credit for it.

The term is "habeas grabus," and I use it in relation to penalties or even any fracas. In reality, it's for holding calls but I have a little fun with it.

Chris Erway always noted that one, along with my use of stanza for quarter and spinorama for, well, spinning plays.

But habeas grabus came from Hillgove and Cope.

The Steelers Broadcast Booth in the Hall of Honor Museum

When I posted about Hillgrove's stepping down from the Steelers' booth, I joked about keeping the seat warm.

Would I love to be the Steelers' radio broadcaster? Um...hello?!

But, realistically, there's a better chance of the Art Rooney statue outside Acrisure Stadium coming to life and singing the Steelers' fight song while recreating the Immaculate Reception.

Still, that's the very thing about this business or any business for that matter. I think I must always "dare to dream" but also live in reality.

It's one thing to dream of an opportunity opening up or someone reaching out with an offer because they like your work.

It's another thing to keep up a Pollyanna-ish fable of how I'm going to make the big leagues!

I have no illusions.

I like to daydream.

But when your work has achieved a level of respect wherever you are, that matters. And it matters a lot to me.

Sure, there's every solid reason that I can offer about why I'd be a great Steelers radio broadcaster. But you need to find the right way to bust open that door to have that conversation. Conversely, there are plenty of others thinking the same thing today and they are preparing their audio and résumé.

I'm fortunate and realistic about what I have.

Right now, I'm preparing to call the FCIAC basketball championship for the 15th time -- both boys and girls. That matters to someone.

Trumbull and Staples await at 7 p.m. at the Snake Shack in Wilton.

No comments: