Monday, February 19, 2024

The One With the Pizza

 


I had lunch with friends today.

Sean was there also and he's friends with these people.

He tolerates me.

It was a small gathering and nothing fancy at that.

We had lunch, we laughed, we made fun of each other, and we just existed.

Heavy subjects? None, really, though life has been far too heavy of late. Moving on  -- the very thing I've preached here for years -- is easier said than done.

But now that I'm back home with the computer in my lap, I find my brain leaning toward gratitude for these -- and all of my -- friends.

Oh, I have family. I love my family. I do. It's very complicated and sadly gotten more so over the years but those complications lead to making difficult decisions.

Negative energy gets removed, regardless of who it is.

The same goes for friends. 

Now, I don't simply judge like that. It's got to be really bad for me to take that kind of step. I'm horrifically guilty of staying with, in, and around situations before walking away. Most of the time it takes something drastic to have a wakeup call.

The thing I loved -- love, love, love -- about the people I was around today is that I was truly authentic in that spot. There's no need to hold back on almost any subject.

Almost. Not a peep of politics came up.

And we had debates. On music and kids and other stuff. But nobody seemed to be bothered.

Even with Sean there, no subject felt taboo though I realize there does need to be a few boundaries.

Beyond that, being a rascal -- not the cat -- is the way to go.

There's something to be said for loyalty and that's what these people and others bring to my life. It's authentic, honest, and real.

That's just it. The people who are my friends accept me as is. They accept the honesty and everything that comes with me. They know I'm not phony. They know how protective I get of them.

That's what I look for as well. 

We have each other's backs.

We've seen some stuff and have the stories to tell. Personal and professional.

The pizza was consumed and the glasses were empty. 

The laughs couldn't be exhausted. That just doesn't happen.

We said goodbye in the parking lot, recognizing that it shouldn't be so long before we do it again.

I know. Life gets tough. Busy. 

But somewhere time can be found.

At least I'd like to think so.

Trust. Respect. Fun.

It was a perfect way to spend President's Day.

No comments: