Sunday, February 11, 2024

The Game

 


OK, kick it off and let's go.

San Francisco (I've been there) and Kansas City (I have not).

Huey Lewis versus Taylor Swift.

So you'd think -- if that were true -- I'd be rooting for the 49ers.

But I've sort of never been a fan of them. I guess it's because they would tie the Steelers for the most Super Bowl wins with six. 

Oh yeah, the Patriots also. If you think those are legit.

But I don't know that I'm rooting for KC either. Sure, I like Patrick Mahomes and Andy Reid and I even like Travis Kelce.

And I have nothing against Ms. Swift. As I've said.

But, meh to the whole thing.

So I'd rather just not care. I'd rather root for drama. I'd rather sit here, eat pizza and wings, and enjoy the game. 

I'd rather it be close -- mighty close -- with a dramatic finish.

Oh, and I couldn't possibly care less about the halftime show. I'm a Beatles guy (this just in) and I loved McCartney's show. I don't care how "safe" it was. It had to be at that time. That's why they picked him.

I still think Prince was and is overrated. Yes. Sorry.

I'll be watching because I've watched them all since 1978.

I saw the days of the Cowboys and Giants and Washington (known by another name back then) and some little ol' squad from Pittsburgh.

I saw Buffalo deservedly make four straight. Then they lost each one.

I saw dominance from Montana and Bradshaw and Mannings and Brady and Mahomes and Timmy Smith (204 yards in SB XXII).

I saw incredible defense. The 85 Bears. The Ravens. The Buccaneers, who probably just intercepted Rich Gannon again.

And, of course, the Steel Curtain.

So let's just enjoy the game.

*****


Well, obviously, I didn't post this when I wrote it hours ago.

It's now overtime -- only the second time ever -- and it's been quite a night.

It's been sloppy and sleepy at times.

And Usher was boring.

But the food was great and so was the company.

I'm going to go back to watching the game.

No comments: