Tuesday, February 27, 2024

Live! Can I Sleep?

In the chaos that is press row/VIP section at Wilton
(Please note I am not a VIP)

Two more games tonight.

I mean, don't set up a GoFundMe. I'm nothing special. I just write every day and, well, this is what you get.

So, yeah, two more games. 

The FCIAC basketball semis were tonight. Trumbull beat Danbury 47-41 and Staples knocked off top-seeded Ridgefield 73-57.

I attempted to pass along a fact about the last time both Staples and Trumbull won conference titles and it wasn't as smooth as I would have liked. That brought me some minor grief.

So it goes.

No need to use any energy on the negativity of the night. Sure, there was some but I was happy in my element. I was also happy seeing a lot of people that I know.

I had a parent come over after the game to introduce themselves. He told me I called his daughter's championship a few years back and he still plays my call of a big play occasionally. Things like that mean the world to me.

It's nice to feel like you make a positive impact even in a small way.

Next up is Brunswick and Salisbury in hockey. It's the playoffs for the Elite 8 and tomorrow is the quarterfinals. If the Bruins win then I'll have another game on Saturday. Win that and there might be a trip to Boston on Sunday.

Then it's back to Wilton and "The Snake Shack," so named for Wilton's own Lucy "Snakey" (and only I call it that). Staples and Trumbull for the boys FCIAC title. Someone is winning their first title in a long time and that was meant to be my point. 

But, right now, I want to sleep. At least some sleep.

I'm a big fan of zoning out and getting a few hours. Last night wasn't great though it's almost never great when I'm home.

Inevitably I'm awakened by something, be it age or my brain. Sometimes both.

Or, of course, by a cat.

I try listening to things though I haven't gone back to watching TV in the middle of the night. That was a big thing for me years ago. I'd go crash on the couch with some overnight thing on and watch that until I got tired enough to try to sleep.

Now, it's stare off into space, just close my eyes and hope I drift off or move out to the couch (aka love seat) and try to sleep.

When I'm away, I tend to have very hectic days and sleep comes a little easier. I still don't sleep all night (again, age) but I think it's at least a little bit better than at home.

For instance, I ran myself hard during the days of the Babe Ruth New England Regional in North Providence last summer. It was up early, get breakfast, then set up and call games at 10 a.m., 1 p.m., 4 p.m., and 7 p.m. I did the games alone and packed up.

Then I'd return to Providence for a late dinner and some decompressing before crashing in my room.

And, generally, I slept.

Well, tonight, I did two games and just feel done.

So, that's that. I'm going to try to sleep.

No comments: