Tuesday, February 20, 2024

The Show Will Go On

 

Dann Gym, Brunswick

The day began with breakfast.

Ham and mozzarella omelet, toast, grits, coffee. Oh yeah.

Plus a good talk about business and opportunities.

Productive. I like it.

I knew the day would lead me to a broadcast, and I figured it would be at Brunswick but the truth was I wasn't sure what time and who the opponent would be.

The Bruins clinched the top seed in the FAA basketball tournament last week. My guess was they would play Hopkins but nothing was in stone.

At least not until I glanced at my phone around 8:30 this morning as I left for breakfast.

So it would be a 5 p.m. game at Brunswick against the aforementioned Hopkins.

Matty Augustine, center, announces that he'll attend Notre Dame
after graduation from Brunswick in 2025.
(Screen shot from LocalLive video)

That, unfortunately, took me out of calling tonight's FCIAC girls basketball playoffs at Trumbull. Those games deserve coverage and I'd like the coverage to include me but I can't have it all. Brunswick was a commitment and I would honor it.

So, in my mind, there was a game to call. As soon as breakfast was over, I went home and pulled together a roster for Hopkins. I did my homework on their season and key players as best as I could.

I was ready but I know -- yes, I know -- there are those who wouldn't do this broadcast because they didn't have hours to prepare.

Pretty cool to say I've covered 
players like Matty Augustine
and his teammate Ethan Long.
Both will head to Notre Dame.

I was comfortable. Let's face it, unless I physically can't get there or there is some other extenuating circumstances, I'm going to call the game.

The loss of the FCIAC games still nags at me. There just isn't that backup plan, no matter how hard I try.

So, Brunswick, it was, and Hopkins was up for it. Don't let records fool you.

I received a very kind compliment before the broadcast that is so humbling. It's truly appreciated. But what good does it do for me to write it here or post it on social media accounts repeatedly? It just makes me appear obnoxious.

It does, however, serve as a reminder that my work is appreciated and respected.

A few days ago, Kent School hockey received a special guest when veteran broadcaster Gary Thorne sat in on the Lions' broadcast. What a wonderful opportunity for the program, as well as my friend Ben Talbott, who got to work with him.

Gary has called Stanley Cups and has done the international call of the World Series. He has iconic calls, including the one of Don Mattingly's lone postseason home run in 1995. Any Yankees fan can hear his voice and those magic words:

"This one by Mattingly. Oh, hang on to the roof. GOOOD BYE, HOME RUN. DON! MATTINGLY!

That voice -- that professionalism -- the one that called Raymond Boque winning Lord Stanley's chalice in 2001 -- was calling Kent School hockey. 

I've called Kent School hockey.

But, also in full disclosure, he did it because his grandson Giovanni DiGiulian is on the Kent team.

Still, who cares? It's a wonderful thing!

Sure, it's a bit intimidating to have Gary Thorne call a game for a team that is an opponent of Brunswick, but I have to stay true to myself and my own talent.

So I called basketball my way, just as I'll call Brunswick hockey that way on Friday night.

Incidentally, Matty Augustine, the remarkable football and basketball player for Brunswick, announced his commitment this morning to attend Notre Dame after graduation. But, as script writers do, he received a technical foul in the hoops game.

I'll be back at Brunswick on Thursday for the FAA basketball semifinal. I'll learn the details sometime tomorrow, I'm sure.

But, oh yeah, I also have Rockets Hockey Club action that morning at 11:30 in New Jersey.

This is what I do. I grind. I prep, get rosters, set up, call the game, break down, and move on. 

It's not the life for everyone. It's not the style for everyone. 

But it's the style for me.

It's also "Love Your Pet Day." So here he is.


No comments: