Sunday, December 03, 2023

The Limit

 


Greenwich lost to West Haven today, 26-13. The Cardinals' season has come to a close.

Thanks to the Cardinals players, coaches, and families.

But.

Something happened late in the game that I have to address.

Nobody likes to lose. I realize that.

Fans get passionate.

They also lose focus and rationality.

As I've mentioned before, Chris Erway and I get confused for being the public address announcer and other things.

We're just the broadcasters.

Nick Fesko, who does a wonderful job handling public address duties, was asked to make an announcement about fans staying off the field at the end of the game.

Apparently, to one fan, it was seen as announcing that all hope for the game was gone.

She began to yell about the game not being over.

She began to curse at the booth. Specifically, at me. 

I smiled and tried to play it off but she wouldn't stop.

That's what I've done for years. Smile and let it go. Scream at me to playing music too loud? Smile and say that it's not me doing it. Ask me to announce about the 50/50 or play the cheerleading music. I smile and say that's not me.

Finally, after years of being yelled at for things out of my control, I felt this was a line that shouldn't be crossed. Nick shouldn't be yelled at. Nor should literally anyone else up there who is doing their job.

So, I opened the window and, in a moment out of a movie, basically asked her "who you talkin' to?"

She proceeded to say she was talking to me and that I was an a**hole, and "f**k you" with a two-finger salute.

The crowd, to its immense credit, immediately backed Chris and me up. 

Never has a situation reached this point but, frankly, it was abusive. I mean, she was cursing us out for something that we didn't do. 

We can laugh at "Then Time Our Touchdown" and other things but this was out of control. 

And it all happened on the air. I have the audio.

Fans in the crowd apologized to us. After speaking with Greenwich High School officials, they also apologized.

So did the coaches on the field.

Viewers and listeners also sent us notes of support.

None of that is necessary.

While I feel embarrassed to ever be a part of the story, I appreciate the kindness of the support from everyone.

I'm there to document the game. I've made so many friends over the years with fans and I'm proud of that. I love the back-and-forth that goes on between us and the audience.

I've dealt with critics. I've dealt with a lot of nonsense.

But this was too far and I had to step in. It shouldn't go on at a high school event. In fact, it shouldn't go on at any event.

But it did and here we are.

There's a part of me that wishes I hadn't done so but everyone keeps telling me I needed to defend myself.

I'm generally horrified by the whole thing.

So I guess my thing is that, if this fan ever approaches us and apologizes, I'll laugh it off. 

I will. I know me. We move forward. Always.

I can't speak for Chris but that's how I'd feel about just moving on. Chris and I have been invited to the banquet in roughly 10 days and I just want to quietly sit and move on.

I get passion. I get being irrational.

But I wish it hadn't happened.

Best of luck to the winners. Staples and West Haven will battle for the title. Thank you, again, to the players, coaches, fans, and support for allowing us to document Greenwich football.

But this was such a sad way for the season -- my 25th -- to come to a close.

No comments: