Thursday, December 07, 2023

Take the High Road ... Again

 

The High Road to Taos
(Photo: New Mexico Tourism Department)

Today was a day to get back under the headset.

The Connecticut Roughriders were hosting the Providence Hockey Club in a matinee contest in Norwalk.

As I've mentioned about the Roughriders, their setup is interesting. To plug into their video stream, I have to go inside the combined penalty box/scorers booth area, and they don't ask you to be there too early. That goes against my belief but I compromise on it.

So I walked into the SONO Ice House and looped around the rink before gently stepping onto the ice with my backpack, a headset, and a cup of coffee in my hands.

I settled in as they were setting up the stream. I went about my very minimal setup, plugging my Zoom PodTrak P4 mixer into the computer and running a headphone feed off of that to their stream audio input. Then I added a headset and, technically, I was ready.

I began to note the Providence starters before seeing ... that ... they ... didn't ... match ... the ... roster.

OK, I've done my homework. I'm ready. I can do this.

With the clock ticking, I began to write the roster before my contact with the Railriders came into the booth.

He said the stream was ready, except...

"I screwed up," he said.

I figured this had something to do with the stream. No. It had something to do with the broadcasters.

The Roughriders have two broadcasters and he explained that one had left this game (and tomorrow) as questionable. So, he reached out to me to see if I wanted to jump in.

Except...

The other broadcaster who, by definition, has the seniority, was in the rink.

Today.

Having driven up from Long Island to spend the night and do both games.

Now, given I was already set up (though still fixing the roster fiasco, which I simply don't understand) I was given the option of staying today.

I looked up, clear-eyed and maintaining a dignified look on my face.

"Give him both games," I said. "He drove here from Long Island. No need to have him just watch."

I packed up, said hello to the other broadcaster, who thanked me, and I left.

In truth, I really wanted to do the games. I was really bummed when I left.

But what good does being a jerk do in this case? 

I elected to pack up, tail (and headset) between my legs.

I just wouldn't have felt right by staying, even if I was in the right. I thought about suggesting that I'd go up into the stands and put the game on Robcasting, but it's OK. 

I left.

To the credit of the Roughriders, they're still going to pay me for both games, and that's kind of them. 

It's hardly the first time this kind of thing has happened. I was immediately reminded of the lacrosse game that was being played at Brunswick between two neutral teams. Brunswick was fine with me calling the game and one of the schools actually hired me to call it.

Then I got there and discovered that LocalLive for some reason booked another broadcaster.

I was stunned and not thrilled but, ultimately, I went home.

These things happen. That doesn't mean it's right or fun or acceptable.

But so it goes. It does serve as a reminder that I wish I had a home base.

I have one Brunswick game next week and, barring any changes (hello? WGCH?), my 2023 game year might come to a sad end.

(Hint: I'm available)

No comments: