Tuesday, December 26, 2023

Just Teaching

 

(Photo: CSB Media Arts Center)

I just walked in from teaching at CSB.

It was a long night.

I enjoy -- really, really, really enjoy -- passing on the stories and experiences that I've learned in the nearly 34 years since I graduated from CSB.

I enjoy trying to help these potential broadcasters find their potential and hope I can play a small part in helping them unlock their talent.

I wish I could teach a little more play-by-play but some nights the curriculum just doesn't have enough time for it.

Tonight was TV Sports Highlights night, which meant going into the TV studio to narrate a sports report.

Each student got a chance to run a camera, operate the teleprompter, cue up the highlights, and be the talent. 

I was the floor director.

My only gripe in any of this is if students aren't paying attention.

Respect, of course, is a two-way street. If you have to keep explaining the project then you wonder how you're failing. There's a disconnect somewhere.

But if there's a passion to learn then we're all good. There was definitely that.

For me, as the sports teacher, the first thing I aim to do in each session is to allay any fears.

Some think it's going to be references and concepts that they don't understand. These are the non-sports students, of course.

So it becomes about making them understand that they're going to learn things that can be used in other facets of broadcasting. I'm just trying to help them become more well-rounded.

I hope I helped this group in that way.

I also hope teaching helps me get better.

I'm excited to get back under the headset tomorrow for basketball.

No comments: