Tuesday, December 12, 2023

Games in the Attic

 

Notes, meet folder.

There's always one last thing to do when one season ends and another begins: file the notes.

This is for those who think we don't put a lot of thought and work into what we do.

I've got them all.

Want to see that first scorecard from 1999? I've got it.

The first Renegades broadcast I worked (2001)? Got it.

The first Greenwich football broadcast I did play-by-play on? You'll find it.

Oh, you'll also find rosters, programs, and other notes.

It's organized in folders by season and there are now over 25 years strong.

Why keep it all? 

Well, before you put me in the category of being a "hoarder," hear me out. It's a completely logical explanation in that you never know. 

Do you know how many people I meet -- even all these years later -- and wonder if I have a roster with them?

John Sullivan. Chris Erway. John Marinelli. Anthony Morello. Anthony Volpe.

Others.

All of those names are in the archive. 

If I want to look back at the Greenwich/Wilton game in 2001, I have the scoresheet to do so.

These archives are important to the history of these teams as well as to my own ... GASP! ... preparation.

History matters in my opinion. A lot.

I considered what I would have to do with the archive when we moved out of Mahopac in 2022. I never intended to get rid of it and kept my fingers crossed that I could keep it. Fortunately, it's in my attic and I have no plan to dispose of it.

The walk-off winners, no-hitters, game-winning scores, and more are reflected in this collection of papers.

That doesn't mean there aren't a few missed games over the years. Indeed, bad weather destroyed a few and a couple of others simply don't exist.

But of the nearly 1800 game broadcasts, I'm willing to guess the percentage I don't have is very low.

I'm proud of that.

I'm willing to bet most of my brethren have a similar archive. Yet, honestly, I can't concern myself with that.

This is my archive.

My thing.

And part of how I prepare.

Not so lazy, huh?

Oh, and a new folder begins tomorrow with Brunswick basketball hosting Avon Old Farms. 

Game time is 4:30 and will be carried on LocalLive and Robcasting.

No comments: