Saturday, December 23, 2023

Can't We Just Have Peace?

 

Ocala is roughly an hour north on I-75 (Mar 2023)

For the most part, today was a quiet one.

Sean and I went to Wegmans to shop for Christmas Eve, which has become a night of food and movies.

For us, that means lots of appetizers and so on.

While many were in pure chaos, the two of us strolled along quietly, with a plan in place and willing to adjust as needed. Oh sure, we were impatient with those who couldn't handle the simple task of walking, but we had a backup plan if things didn't go our way.

Alas, all went well and that backup plan -- get to the store early tomorrow morning -- turned out to not be necessary.

We're fine now and will enjoy a quiet Christmas Eve.

We came home and I took to the task of watching football. Interstate 95 crept along out back. Astounding.

Anyway, thank you, Pittsburgh Steelers, for the gift of a proper thumping of the Cincinnati Bengals. TJ Watt is my spirit animal or something like that.

Don't ask.

But today is also the 51st anniversary of The Immaculate Reception and so, somewhere, I hope Franco Harris is smiling.

The play was all legal and legit and I don't care what Raiders fans tell you.

In my wild world, it's astounding to say I know a participant in that game, as Terry Hanratty was the backup to Terry Bradshaw on that day in Pittsburgh. It's another "pinch myself" type of thing. Incidentally, Terry's podcast, "Hanratty's Huddle" is being produced every week and now has a Facebook page. Please like, support, and spread the word!

I caught up on other items at hand today, like filling in spaces where possible on the broadcast schedule for January and February. It's looking like I'll be sufficiently busy but, to be honest, I always want more.

And there's the very frustrating WGCH factor for me.

It's frustrating because, once again, I pushed to get a schedule of games on the air and, so far, none of it has come to be. I even tried to encourage some sales and the emails haven't gone unanswered.

I realize others broadcast hockey but I think we should be back on Greenwich games (girls and boys) as well as basketball. Maybe even wrestling.

So far, nothing. Sure, I can put these on Robcasting (and probably will do a few) but there's likely no money in that for me. That, to be quite clear, is a downside.

These teams deserve better and I think I know what I'm worth.

All I can say is "check your local listings" for the games and, of course, everything gets archived both on Mixlr and Archive.org.

*****

Before we turn serious, I'm here to ask the "hive mind" for help. (I've never used that term before but, why not?)

I've been asked to do some research about streaming games but, in this case, it's for video.

I've done it, of course, but as "talent." I was a part of the building of the HAN Network but I wasn't involved in buying the equipment in that case. I was more of a sounding board in that case.

Incidentally, I'd love to know where that HAN Network equipment is, along with how to get the games that were put behind a paywall back out so that I could download them.

So I've never really had to build a video service from scratch. I'm looking for advice and reasonable costs. I'm trying to gather some information.

If there's a reason to explain further here, I will. For now, forgive my vagueness.

*****

I saw we had another barbaric shooting this evening. This time, it was in Ocala, FL. 

It hits a little closer when it's somewhere you're familiar with.

In this case, the shooting happened at the Paddock Mall, which opened in 1980.

To be clear, I've never been inside the Paddock Mall. I've eaten meals in Orlando and stayed in at least one hotel (likely more) but that's as much as I know of the city.

I drove by the Paddock Mall on State Route 200 in May, 1989, on my way home from my grandfather's funeral.

Ocala was always one of our places of note on the drive from Mahopac to the Tampa Bay area. We normally used State Route 40 to take us from Interstate 75 to US 301 but, in this case, I was driving and chose Route 200. Nobody in the car knew the difference.

But I'm wildly digressing.

Why is it that we can't go to the mall and simply do our shopping and get out?

What I've read indicated that one person is dead and another wounded.

On Dec. 23.

There's enough sadness for many surrounding the holidays. Why more?

I know some will want to debate the Second Amendment and I get that. Believe me, I do. All I can do is simply look at this my way.

You've gone to Paddock Mall to shop at Belk while the kids go to Hollister. Honestly, you just want to get a few last-minute items and snack on some Auntie Anne's pretzels. 

Instead, a person is dead and you're running for your life.

It's sick.

And, again, it happens too much.

However we want to put this, the fact is the gun is in the wrong hands. Can we at least agree on that?

Nobody should be living in fear of just going to the mall.

Not on Dec 23 or at any other time of the year.

Lives are shattered tonight.

So, again, we asked the unanswered question.

Why?


No comments: