Monday, December 25, 2023

Christmas in Connecticut

Rascal's brother says hello

It's over.

Not the entire season, but Christmas.

Oh, I know, it's 8:13 p.m. as I start writing and technically Christmas isn't officially over, but do we need to split hairs?

No, we needed to just get through the day.

Make the calls and text the texts.

Bite your tongue when that relative shows up or whatever causes tension.

My goal is to not be that relative. 

Thus, I arrive close to on time or perhaps fashionably late, bring whatever it is I'm supposed to bring, participate as appropriate, avoid bad topics, and do not overstay my welcome.

It seems like a simple formula but it's not perfect.

I was a few minutes early at my nephew's but he and his wife and kids seemed happy to have me there and I was happy to have a few minutes with them before everyone else showed up.

From there, it's catching up, eating, watching the kids open presents, and hopefully just having a pleasant visit.

Sean did his usual Christmas Day thing and went to his mother's. I get to see him for a little time every Christmas morning but otherwise, we don't spend the day together. It's a shame but, conversely, I'm glad he has the relationship that he has with his maternal grandparents. He got to see them today and that's important.

My sister, not wanting me to go home alone, told me to stop by her place after leaving my nephew's. Thus we watched a little football, talked, and I played with her grandson.

Somehow, that little boy is about to turn four. Time. It flies.

I was just happy he wanted the old dude to drive Hot Wheels cars and a Hess truck with him.

Oh, the old dude. My first stop of the day was to get coffee -- that was my job -- at Dunkin (DONUTS). I went to the location in Cheshire.

The one, you may recall, in which I was offered a senior discount a few years back. Neither Chris Erway nor Sean will let me forget it.

Alas, no discount came my way and that's too bad since the Box of Joe isn't cheap!

But, 'tis the season and all.

I am home alone now, still grateful for the passing of another Christmas and it not being quite as lonely as it has been in other years.

Oh, and for those wondering, the annual father/son Christmas Eve Movie and Food Festival was again a success.

We dined on succulent mozzarella sticks, boneless Buffalo Wings, and other delights.

Our movie selection was, well, diverse, starting with one including music from a band who was a little too New Wave at one time.

Yes. We watched American Psycho. What can I tell you? It's not exactly the most uplifting Christmas Even movie but so it goes.

"I think their undisputed masterpiece is 'Hip to Be Square'"

Then, while flipping through our various streaming packages, I came across Barbie. And yes, we watched it. We both liked it.

Sean headed off to his room after that but I was awake enough for one more. Despite the questionable and unfavorable reviews that I've read, I was intrigued by Bradley Cooper's Maestro, filmed in part in both Rye, NY, and Fairfield, CT.

In my opinion, it's clear Oscar bait, especially for Cooper and he'll likely get a nomination. Beyond that, it was fine.

A week from tonight, the holiday season will be over and whatever is "normal" will resume.

Your mileage may vary on whether or not that is a good thing.

For me, it's about survival.

I survived.

No comments: