Sunday, April 28, 2019

On The Podcast


I realize I have not produced my podcast in a few weeks. I'm sorry for the few who care.

I actually starting recording a new one a few weeks ago -- without a script -- and I just wasn't happy with it.

So we're in a bit of a podcast lull, I guess.

I'll get back to it. Inspiration will hit and I'll crank some shows out.

For one thing, I have to do what makes me happy, given few people listen to it, and it's not intended to make money.

So if I want to work off a script, I will.

If I want to ad-lib, I'll do that also.

If I want to talk to Mike Hirn, Phil Giubileo, Paul Silverfarb, or any of the other good people who have volunteered to come on, I will.

If I want to drop in a Doubleheader-style episode or play an interview from my archive, well, you get the idea.

I have to remember that, first, it's my project, so I have to be happy doing it.

It's the same as the blog or even Robacsting.

As this is not a job, then it should be a release for me. It should be a joy for me.

Then, hopefully, it becomes enjoyable for you.

Then we can tweak it.

But I needed to remind myself that it's OK to be a little selfish.

I hope that's OK.

*****
Staying in sports broadcasting (as that's what the podcast is supposed to be about), I came across an article about Vin Scully's movie appearances. Of course, his most famous is in For Love of the Game, where he was absolutely magnificent as the (unscripted) play-by-play announcer. I couldn't find his quote at the end of the move, but this is pretty eloquent.


But that's not why I'm talking about Vin. Every now and then I stumble onto something I've actually never seen, and the article in question from the LA Times led me to one. The movie was called Wake Me When It's Over, and it's from 1960. Our Vinny is listed in the credits as "CBS Reporter," and the scene is actually online (though recorded off TV).

No comments: