Friday, April 19, 2019

Fear For deHair

Jacob deGrom, back in his "Fear deHair" days
First, you might want to make sure you're prepared for this one.

Next, I promise I will focus on my team, but given I talk sports, I figure this is likely fair game.

Now. Ready?

I'm bummed about the news on Jacob deGrom.

I'll allow you a moment to compose yourself.

The logic is simple: deGrom is good for baseball. Rivalries are good for sports. When you root for a team, greatness on another team -- rival or otherwise --is the equivalent of a "black hat" in a western.

I loved Johnny Damon on the Yankees. Loved his effort and his style. I also talked to him (briefly) a few years ago and he was great. But I loathed him in Kansas City. Oakland. And, of course, Boston.

I will never be a Mets fan. That's probably safe to say. But my hatred probably isn't quite what you think. Oh, I rooted for the Red Sox in '86, and I won't apologize for it, because my logic was as sound then as it is now (I like history, and the Sox had more history, plus -- at least at that time -- I liked Red Sox fans).

Simply put, the Red Sox were old-time baseball.

The Mets fan has long been the loudmouthed little brother. The funny thing is they don't need to be.

That's it in a nutshell.

I'm not talking about Dave Torromeo or Eric Scholl or even Chris Kaelin (whackadoodle that he might be). It's the ones who "would rather see Al Qaeda win before the Yankees."

Yes. That's a quote. Sad, right?

Anyway, that aside, the news (or potential news) about deGrom is bad. Players like that are fun to watch. They're fun to root against. They're fun to see in person.

Again. Good for the game.

There's no question this is concerning news, as players aren't "sent back to New York" for the laughs of it. Now the question is: how bad?

And what's next?

Plus the Mets aren't known for having the greatest track record with player injuries. Has it gotten better? Probably, but you can understand the panic in Metsies Land.

The Mets fan is viewing this as potentially catastrophic, and with good reason. The early returns from the 2019 season had been largely positive, but they knew that deGrom was their star.

With him out, they continue to beg and plead for a deal with Gio Gonzalez (about to become a former Yankee without ever joining the big club) and Dallas Keuchel, the free agent who continues to wait for a big deal and doesn't have one for some completely logical reason.

The story will be interesting to watch, but one thing is for sure: deGrom needs to get well soon.

Then he can return for one of the oh-so-painful Subway Series farces, in which the "rival" Yankees can greet him rudely.

Such is sports.

*****
By the way, what is the Mets fans' obsession with the Washington Nationals? Shouldn't the Phillies be a bigger concern right now? See, the Mets fan is constantly reminding the Nats that they've never won a playoff series. Which, OK and all, but it's not like there's this incredible success in Queens either.

It's all about winning World Series, right? The Mets last won ' '86. They won in '69. The Nats have never won one. This isn't exactly a lopsided rivalry.

The Mets and Nationals were exchanging tweets over the use "in the books," with NY radio voice Howie Rose saying "Put it in the books" when the Mets win, and Nats voice Charlie Slowes saying "Put a curly W in the books" when D.C. gets a win.

Is this a modern day "Holy Cow!"? As in Phil Rizzuto versus Harry Caray?

Just confusing.

Anyway, carry on.

I'm going back to "focusing on my team." Who stinks, by the way.

No comments: