Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Have a Day

Don't you ... forget about me! (Don't! Don't! Don't! Don't!)
Sometimes the world tells me that I'm sort of OK.

In the past week, I've been told that the mood and theme of a broadcast, and an entire booth, changed for the worse after I left.

I've been told that people 1) missed me on a broadcast when I wasn't available, and 2) actually consider staying home to listen to me as opposed to going to the game.

I've been told that a decision I made was "inspired" and "saved a program."

I also heard of jealousy because, essentially, a show I did made someone feel threatened (as in they were somehow competing).

This, naturally, will not inflate my ego. If anything, it reminds me to keep grinding away.

One can't get too high off things like this, because there's a knife behind someone's back. Somewhere. Always.

It's very easy to feel threatened when someone occupies the space that we normally have. The nature of what I do is very transient often (at best). So it's human to feel good when you get told that not only were you missed, but your replacement was "robotic."

Job security, short of having a contract, is quite dicey in what I do. I'm comfortable believing that I'm wanted back on Greenwich football this fall, for instance, but who's to say? All it takes is one person who walks in with oodles of money and says, "I want to be 'The Voice of Greenwich Football.'"

Don't believe me? Trust me. It happens.

And has happened.

To me.

Money good.

Quality be damned.

So to hear these really kind words, and be reminded that, to some, quality does matter, is quite important.

And I guess that's all I can say about that.

There's a lot of tongue planted in cheek here, and I'm sure that's not coming across. Anyway, back to the ol' grind tomorrow.

Please note the use of the above picture is simply comedy and satire and does not condone the behavior of Kevin Spacey.

No comments: