Saturday, March 05, 2016

Last Game of the Season

Darien wins the Girls FCIAC Title last Saturday.
There comes a point where, no doubt, the crew is ready to say goodbye.

I'm usually not that person.

Later today, at Terry Conners Rink in Stamford, Greenwich will play St. Joseph for the FCAC Championship. As it currently stands, it will be my last hockey call for many months.

It struck me last night that, following Westhill's win over Danbury in the basketball final, I was done with hoops as well.

Oh sure, I know baseball is approaching (and isn't it fantastic?), and lacrosse, and much more, and before we know it, the cycle will go around again, but there is something sad about putting the notes away.

It's been a manic couple of months. Just like the manic couple before that. Yet it's a good manic. It feels a little more like there's a rhythm to it all now. Indeed, it's down to a science.

Admittedly, times have changed. That last football game of a season could spell the last game I'd call -- in ANY sport -- for months. So it's not like I'm walking away from everything in a few hours.

So what I'll do is what I always do. I'll call the game. I'll have fun doing it. I'll work with friends. We'll rock it all as a team.

Then a champion will be crowned. Hopefully people will tweet us and have a good time with it all.

Then I'll reflect. The odds that I'll be happy with the call? Slim, at best. It's just how I am.

I've come to know that there are some who want the broadcast for posterity. They'll want to hear that final call or big moment. I'm honored by that, but it's also a little intimidating. I've reached a point in my life where certain calls are quoted to me ("Eat a sandwich. Catch a touchdown.").

I appreciate it. I laugh at it. Yet I don't want to think about it. I don't want it to be rehearsed. The whole process needs to come off as natural and spontaneous.

One last frenetic hockey game for me later today. Two outstanding goalies: Nick Bozzuto (Greenwich) and Ryan Wilson (St. Joseph). A new champion will take its place (St. Joseph has never won, and Greenwich last won in 2009).

A few hours after that, Darien will play ETB for the girls state championship. Best of luck to both teams.

I'm rambling here. Just thinking about the end of the season.

Seasons change.

No comments: