Friday, December 26, 2014

It's 4:39 in the Morning

Maybe a Star Wars bed would help me sleep? Wander, the mind does.
So I've been awake since about 3:15 or so.

Actually, that's not true. I dozed off around 11:30, following a Christmas of four movies:

- Silver Linings Playbook (very good)
- That Thing You Do (Tom Hanks and harmless 60s nostalgia)
- We're the Miller's (brash, bold, funny)
- The Perks of Being A Wallflower (pretty remarkable)

I'm not going to lie. That capped off the most introspective Christmas ever (I'm not complaining; it's a fact). The day featured a roughly two-hour walk around the cemetery my father is buried in, in which I stumbled upon gravestones from the 1700s.

I stood at my fathers grave for a stretch, just talking and thinking.

A Jehovah's Witness approached me at one point and said, "I know this is a private time, but I want to give you some literature."

I thanked him politely, but was probably just as thankful that he left as quickly as he approached.

Anyway, I've been awake off and on since 12:30, and consistently since 3:15. That was my original point.

I gave up a few minutes ago and grabbed my iPad. I scrolled through the selfies, family portraits, pictures of gifts, and deep thoughts from Christmas, 2014.

Having enough of that, I pondered something.

I have people in my life who say to call anytime. Never wanting to be a burden, I rarely do. Thus I really didn't communicate with anyone yesterday. I mean, it was Christmas. You all had much better things to do.

But what if I really needed to talk, say, now?

I know I'd answer the phone. There would be a reason that someone would be calling at 4:39 in the morning. Maybe the call would be placed by mistake, or it would be real.

I'd answer. Who else would?

I'm babbling. Deep thoughts in the depth of the night.

Maybe there are more movies on worth watching now.

It will be 5:00 soon.


No comments: