Monday, May 26, 2014

Give Me the Keys, and I'll Drive You Crazy


I'm going to guess, er, one person will get that the title of this post is a reference to a Huey Lewis song title.

That's all I've got on that.

But yes, I'm coming to you LIVE from sunny, hot, humid, but beautiful Key West, Florida. Lisa and I arrived last night - tired, slightly tweaked, but no worse for wear. I think I'm starting with a cold, but it's nothing I can't beat. Go to Publix, grab some meds, and voila!

This is a different vibe for me than from a lot of places. It's not a true "beach town" but there are a few beaches around here. It's a tourist town, for sure, and a partying town, without a doubt. Yet it's great to be here, and I have no complaints.

I suppose I was a little disappointed in the drive down US 1. Lisa's parents started driving from near Melbourne, FL around 8:00 yesterday morning, and it took them NINE HOURS! By comparison, it took us not quite four, with various slowdowns.

It is quite surprising that it isn't mostly four lanes all the way, for instance. Hell, you get squeezed to one each way for long stretches, including ones where you can't pass. That caught me off guard. Not exactly what I expected.

In Big Pine Key, you MUST slow down to 35, and believe me, they're too happy to pull you over if you don't. I watched it happen (and thought it was going to be me, as I was going - GASP - 39).

But we made it here without incident, and are settling in for the next few days. I'm told I need to chill, and so I will.

It's hard to go wrong, when the view is this.

By the way, I did pass a Waffle House last night without entering. Yes. You ready that correctly.

We've already hit the touristy stop, where we passed on waiting on line for a personal picture.
I already got my 95 "ends" photo, and though I drove past the US 1 "end," I will go back and get pictures when I feel right.

Oh, and there's a Beatles connection here at this hotel! Another post for another time!

OK, off to the pool.

No comments: