Tuesday, November 19, 2013

New Canaan vs. Ansonia? Yes, Please?

I was told about a news note in which New Canaan head coach Lou Marinelli said that his Rams would happily play Ansonia (they are the top two teams in the state currently) in a benefit game.

“We’ll give all the proceeds to the Wounded Warrior Project," Marinelli told Hearst Connecticut Media Group's high school football blog. "If we are still number one or number two  in the state and people are still torn,  let’s go to the Yale Bowl on December 21 and do it. Play the game and give the proceeds to the Wounded Warrior Project. Why not?”

I.

Couldn't.

Agree.

More.

Make this happen, CIAC. Be smart. You can do it. You would be doing something OFF THE CHARTS for Connecticut football.

Look, there's always been a clear bias in the polls towards the "I-91" teams, as I often call them. Ansonia could be 0-9 and they would still get votes to be the top team in the state. It's just the nature of the beast.

For me, it brings back memories of 2007, when voters made the Chargers the top team over a similarly high powered Greenwich team. I thought the Cardinals would beat the Chargers at that time, and I still do.

But that's an opinion, and it's irrelevant. Wouldn't a one-game deal be fantastic?

And I would be beating on the door of the right people to make sure you had a broadcast partner for the game.

Assuming these two teams are still the top two in a few weeks, make it happen, CIAC.  I think Connecticut football fans - who deserve something like this - would come out for it.

It's a great idea.

This idea will likely be bounced around on the FCIAC Preview Show Thursday at Noon on Hersam Acorn Radio.

No comments: