Monday, March 29, 2021

To be clear...

(please note Rascal sleeping to the right)

OK, so we need to talk.

Things I wrote and/or tweeted didn't come across correctly, so let me try again.

Yesterday's post was meant to show understanding for the boys D1 FCIAC Hockey Championship at Dorothy Hamill Rink in Greenwich.

It was supposed to support Greenwich and New Canaan High Schools.

It was supposed to support the Greenwich Athletic Foundation and Birds Eye Sports and Local Live -- all of whom had a role in producing the broadcast.

It was supposed to be understanding of NCTV 78 and the broadcasters who wanted to be at Hamill Rink but couldn't.

It was supposed to be supportive of Hamill Rink itself, who has been hyper careful about crowds due to COVID protocols and who allowed New Canaan parents to attend the game.

That's where things went astray.

I was saying that I understood all of it.

Gus Lindine and Jay Egan -- the two ADs -- worked together on everything. The rink and Local Live, spearheaded by Kevin Devaney, Jr, came together on the broadcast.

Local Live has been great in working with broadcasting groups such as the Greenwich Athletic Foundation, DAF Media, and New Canaan. 

For what it's worth, guess who loses when that happens? Me because, most of the time, other broadcasters are used (save for the few times I've jumped on with DAF Media).

But I wasn't trying to portray any villains.

This is an unusual year and there simply wasn't room at Hamill for NCTV.

I was trying to let these young broadcasters know that I've been there. There have been games -- many games -- that I felt I should call, just as they're feeling.

I remember when Brewster High School represented Section 1 on a state championship run in 1999. I called a lot of Section 1 football that year...then couldn't do the final in Syracuse.

I remember when Mount Saint Mary College went into the playoffs in 2010. I was their broadcaster. Nope.

Greenwich played in a girls basketball state final. Nope.

HAN Network got boxed out of calling basketball at Mohegan Sun due to the NFHS Network in 2015. We were allowed to do hockey that year but weren't allowed back after that.

These are the ones off of the top of my head and there are others.

I chose my words carefully all night Saturday and the same goes for last night. I didn't even comment on the actual announcers for any of the games, including the basketball games.

But when the texts and emails and phone calls happen -- all very understanding, I must add -- I feel that I need to clarify.

Look, I love that I've called 51 FCIAC Championship Games.* I consider it a huge responsibility and an honor.

*I discovered my database had a mistake and I was off by one.

I've called probably more Greenwich athletic events than anyone since 1999, including 23 FCIAC Championships. I miss it. Can you blame me for wanting more?

But I should have stayed out of it or chose my words differently. Understood.

I tried to advocate, basically, for everyone. I was trying to sympathize.

Most of all, I'm always looking out for the athletes, coaches, and families.

Hopefully, that clears it up. Inquire within with questions and concerns.

Thirty-six days until the Gades open.

No comments: