Sunday, March 28, 2021

Paying it forward

 

Darien won the girls hockey FCIAC title back in 2016. I called it on HAN.

I finally got to watch the recent retrospective on Doc Emrick that NBC produced back in February.

Of course, it was great. It was about Doc.

One part that particularly stuck out to me was his relationship with Fort Wayne broadcasting legend Bob Chase. Doc did the same for broadcasters of all ages. He took the time to talk to them, listen to their audio, and critique.

Just as he counseled me for a few minutes on "The Clubhouse" late last year.

That leads me to a broadcaster named Austin Platt.

Austin wanted to be part of the call of yesterday's FCIAC D1 Championship Game between Greenwich and New Canaan, where he is a senior. New Canaan's TV 78 wasn't allowed to broadcast it as Greenwich was the home team.

Local Live distributed the game, produced by Birds Eye Sports. I believe the Greenwich Athletic Foundation was involved as well.

Local Live is the official broadcaster for the FCIAC semifinals and championship. In a "normal" year, I might have been under the headset for some of those games, at least in basketball. Maybe even girls hockey. I've been boxed out of the boys hockey final for a couple of years.

This, of course, is not a normal year.

So, as you've gathered, in full disclosure: I do work for Local Live. I've worked with Birds Eye as well. I've also worked with the Greenwich Athletic Foundation on football.

I bring this up because I know some -- not all, but some -- of the moving parts. However, I don't claim to have any inside knowledge on this.

Still, those in New Canaan were annoyed and all I can say is that I understand. It's an awful feeling to put your heart and soul into all of it and feel like you're out for one reason or another.

I'm pretty sure Jeff Alterman and the Trumbull Eagles Network (TEN) would have liked to call the Ridgefield/Trumbull FCIAC girls basketball title on Saturday night.

I've watched teams that I've covered -- Greenwich and other FCIAC teams as well as Brunswick and more -- have other outlets call the big game. I stewed when I tried to watch as they clearly didn't know the team like I did. Like it or not it was out of my control.

I've even offered to go call stuff on my dime. Smart? No, but it speaks to that desire to reach the finish line.

I wasn't thrilled to be sitting on the couch all weekend.

It's a hard lesson. A very hard lesson.

It's easy to feel that rage. You think -- you're certain -- you'll do a better job.

Austin Platt probably thought some of those things as well. But he didn't project that.

He tweeted a short thread: "It's a shame I couldn't call the FCIAC Championship today, but I really can't complain. For the last two years I have had the distinct pleasure and honor to call both @NCPuck and @NcGirlsPuck games, and find my niche in hockey. In just two years, the teams combined for 3 FCIAC Championships and countless moments I will always cherish, including the Shane Mettler 2OT winner last year and Grace Crowell's championship OT winner just a week ago I truly hope this is the start of something special for me, regardless of where I end up."

It's no fun to take that high road, but that is an incredibly wise attitude to have. It's also the right thing to do.

I stood right next to the NC crew last year as I called that OT winner by Shane Mettler on Local Live. As I was working with a raw voice, I saved everything for the call and kept to myself.

I'm not here tonight to say anything bad about anyone. The game was covered. That matters. I know Ben Talbott, Mike Morales, and Birds Eye always do good work. I like the Local Live crew and the Greenwich Athletic Foundation.

I have no doubt that Dylan Pescatore, Austin, and the NC crew would have done a fine job as well, just as Damian Andrew does in Darien.

And you better believe I would have done my best to call it had I been offered.

That's not how it played out.

I get the anger. I get the hurt feelings. We all want the ball. That's how it should be.

Kudos to Austin Platt for swallowing his pride and showing class in handling this situation. It will serve him well and I messaged him privately last night to tell him that.

I suppose that's where I'm coming back to Doc Emrick. Like Doc, Bob Chase, and anyone else, I love talking about this business. I love critiquing calls and teaching the business. I love teaching play-by-play (and I'll be doing that at CSB in a few weeks).

I'm a tough judge. I'm a protector of the play-by-play business, which often makes me look bad, I suppose. I have such little patience for what I see and hear lately.

But I love talking about it. That's the exact reason I teach. That's the exact reason I like being an admin in the Facebook group.

I was so happy when Spencer Pierce -- he of Greenwich now attending Syracuse -- asked me for some help with a project. He interviewed me for a few minutes today and I'm happy to be in touch with him and so many other broadcasters.

I'm nobody. I know that. I'm not Doc Emrick. But I believe in taking the knowledge that I've picked up and passing it on wherever I can. The only thing I ever ask is that they don't take my job.

That's a whole different problem.

And for those who think I'm tough on them, let me say there's a method to my madness. I want you to be better. That's the short answer.

When I talk with broadcasters who want to listen, I talk about attitude. Stop being entitled. Stay humble. Be gracious. Be ready for anything. Learn how to tell stories and describe (like on the radio where nobody can see the action). Don't exaggerate. Don't be a circus clown.

Prepare for the criticism and listen to it but decide if there's anything to it and move on.

Report. Describe. Give the score...a lot.

Grind. Make friends. Network. Don't burn bridges. Be open-minded.

Be passionate and, honestly, a little crazy (such as driving to a college to call a doubleheader, knowing you might spend the night in your car due to snow).

Austin seems to have that. So does Spencer.

They'll both go a long way.

No comments: