Friday, March 05, 2021

The Mask

 


Let me be clear: there's a story in here but I am fine. Absolutely fine. I am home and a bit tired but am OK. The point of this is the mask I was wearing was giving me a breathing issue. I repeat: I'm fine.

I called basketball tonight, as Trumbull hosted Greenwich.

For the most part, masks have been optional for my broadcasts. Since I tend to work in areas without a lot of people around, I can go without them.

Tonight there was just no way. Jeff Alterman, Brandon Moore and I were too close together. Plus others were fairly close. 

So I adjusted, as is the protocol of the day. I'm the guest in their building and grateful to be there. 

I first tried the mask I bought while in Pennsylvania. The problem was that my voice was just too muffled.

So I switched to a paper mask. While my voice traveled better, I also felt like it held my breath in.

In short, given the number of words I spew during a broadcast, I felt like I was hyperventilating.

I know it was having an effect on my performance.

But, more to the point, it was having an effect on my well-being.

I tugged at it when I could to let some more oxygen in.

But, still, by the second half, the hyperventilating was turning into a complete inability to breathe.

Soon, my heart began to join the party, as if I was Bugs Bunny watching the mechanical rabbit at the dog track.

Like, was I going to collapse? Pass out? Have a panic attack?

No. No. And no.

None of the above happened. Things eventually settled down, I adjusted my pace of the call and we got through a decisive Trumbull win.

Look, these are the rules of the moment. So I'll keep trying to find a mask that will work. I've been told there are Under Armour masks for things like this that help with airflow so I'll pursue that.

In truth, I wasn't scared, but the heartbeat was kind of a "what the?" moment. That being said, I've had an occasional weird heartbeat for years so it's not a huge surprise but it doesn't tend to happen during a broadcast.

It definitely tired me out, so I was happy to get home.

Another adventure in the world of play-by-play, I suppose.

And a different mask to be worn next time (if necessary).

No comments: