Wednesday, March 24, 2021

The excitement builds

 


Forty-eight days until the home opener.

Life, whether we like it or not, must roll on, so I've done some work and had two meetings with the Renegades this week.

I also did some teaching at CSB yesterday. Each of these things allowed me some time to not think about my family and Eric and everything that is going on.

We were supposed to gather today for Eric's funeral but the weather backed it up until tomorrow. So I took a job for Dan and Craig this morning, thinking I'd have a full day on my hands.

Nope. The depo was over in 20 minutes.

I have been emailing with the Gades' new Director of Digital Media and Video Production, Zach Neubauer, who invited me to the stadium for a meet and greet. We were trying to settle on a time when the case came to its quick conclusion. I asked if he was available and he quickly agreed to get together today.

This came less than 48 hours after I met with Steve Gliner and Joe Ausanio to go over the details -- those that are available anyway -- of the game broadcasts.

No, seriously, we're seven weeks away from the first home game and there's still a lot to do. But now I have some clarification that allows me to start things. My meeting with Steve and Joe also allowed me to connect with Zach, who is new to the Hudson Valley but is going to push a lot of things in the right direction.

We'll be working together a lot as I begin to fit into my role in the Gades family.

As I said -- just as in the meeting with Steve and Joe -- not everything is worked out but things are starting to come together.

I think you can look forward to my writing for the team (which I previously knew) and, of course, calling the games. There could be more and that's all to be determined.

This was a welcome respite from the real world. The booth -- any booth -- is my sanctuary. Being in this stadium that I can call "mine" brought me a good feeling. I can't forget about all the troubles and I do my best to smile and laugh but the pain and the thought of my hurting family was omnipresent.

Still, I was in a good place. I climbed the stairs and visited the two radio booths. To be honest, I'm not even 100% certain where I'll call the games from due to making sure I'm socially distant from fans.

There are still lots of things to work out. As it has been all along, flexibility and adaptability will be crucial. As of now, I see no way that anyone will be joining me for broadcasts. If that changes, Chris Erway and Jake Zimmer, and others will get the call.

But each meeting -- virtually with Steve and Joe on Monday and in-person with Zach today -- gave me that feeling of promise.

Monday's meeting gave me the official feeling of relief to know that it's not a dream.

I really am officially the play-by-play announcer for the Hudson Valley Renegades, the High A affiliate of the 27-time world champion New York Yankees.

I can finally say it: I'm a broadcaster in the New York Yankees family. No, it's not the Yankees. But it doesn't need to be either. No matter what, I'm now a part of a group of people that stretches from Arch McDonald and Mel Allen in 1939 through to Red Barber, Phil Rizzuto, Bobby Murcer, and on to Michael Kay and John Sterling. Those are the major league guys, of course, and I'm far below that.

I don't care. There's a line to them and it's beautiful.

There are 41 days left until first pitch in New Jersey, which I'll likely be watching from home. If that's really the case, it's a bummer but it's OK.

There are 48 days remaining until we gather at Dutchess Stadium.

As Casey Kasem would say, "The countdown rolls on."



No comments: