Monday, January 01, 2024

Tough Love To Start the Year

 

Tino Martinez brings 24 home

I was doing the dishes as 2023 turned into 2024.

Who knows how to party better than I do?

Nobody! Let me tell you, as I'm currently doing laundry!

Ah, I've read many of the posts, predictions, resolutions, etc.

Everyone is going to be better and the world is so mean and you're not going to let the bastards win and whatever else.

All lovely. Truly.

Me? Every year -- every day! -- I beg for peace. Sadly, that's a tall ask.

But that's just it. Life is every day. Simply because you hung a new calendar (assuming you do that) that means it's just procedural.

It's bookkeeping, given I have to write "2024" on the rent check that is due.

Beyond that? I look to make it through today and turn to tomorrow.

And so on.

Sadly, reality doesn't take a holiday.

So standing at the sink cleaning the dishes was no big deal to me. In fact, I chuckled to myself before sitting back down to watch a few episodes of The Honeymooners.

I see those writing their brief manifesto on social media about all the things they did in '23 and how they'll ignore the haters in '24. 

Well, if you resolved to not be a self-loathing narcissist that went out the door quickly.

If you resolved to not enable this behavior then consider that a failing grade on the early '24 report card.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: very little changes. 

You feel no different today, save perhaps for the hangover you might have.

If anything, you likely have a day off and you're figuring out how to spend it. Honestly, I don't want to be cooped up in the apartment but so it goes.

Yeah, you'll go the gym some, or you'll eat better, or you'll do one thing or another. I hope you can maintain it. Like everything else, goals have to be attainable.

Me? I was happy to sleep and get out of bed this morning.

Beyond that? It's a Monday and I'll be thrown off all week. Otherwise, it's hockey and college football. Nothing really that different.

I'll get out of bed again tomorrow, looking forward to another fresh start.

This rhythm will be repeated.

But stop with the "everyone is laughing at me" stuff. You dig your hole. You can't have it both ways.

Stop playing the victim and keep moving forward.

There's a resolution for you.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a rent check to write.

With 2024 on it.

No comments: