Friday, January 26, 2024

The Voice is My Calling Card

 

From my first trip to Iona Prep in December

I've talked about the conundrum of being our own hype people before.

So I tell you this brief story understanding I risk sounding like a narcissist when, in reality, I remain dazzled that people would ever notice such things.

I got an offer to call Iona Prep basketball once again. The game was tonight against an outstanding team from Christ the King in Queens.

The Iona Prep broadcast setup is simple and nice. They put a small desk in the stands and, as it's a small gym, the stands are where the broadcaster has to sit. But it's high enough to sit and see the whole gym.

I bring my own equipment, find the input to send my audio to LocalLive's camera, and voilà! Sitting in the stands doesn't do much for my back but so be it. This isn't my first rodeo and the setup provided by the school is a nice touch.

So, basically, I'm willing to go back anytime they ask.

I finished up "Doubleheader" at home and jumped in the car for the drive down the Hutchinson River Parkway. If -- BIG IF -- traffic is moving, it's a decent drive to New Rochelle and the school is right next to the parkway.

I parked and walked in.

Two gentlemen sat at a desk selling tickets to the game. Of course, I get in because of what I do, but I still have to get their approval.

Normally, it's easy. I just say I'm the broadcaster or something along those lines and I get a smile and a nod to go on my way.

That all went as usual tonight, except there was more.

The two guys welcomed me before one commented.

"That's the voice I've been hearing," he said.

It was a reference to my previous two appearances at Iona Prep. Apparently, I'm doing something right. He acknowledged liking my work and wished me well.

Normally, I just try to disappear into the background but I was grateful for this.

These little glimpses of kindness are good reminders to keep grinding. I didn't know I would become a broadcaster for Iona Prep in any way when this season began. I did a few Archbishop Stepinac football games back in the fall and also had a blast doing those.

From there, if my name isn't remembered, I appreciate if my voice -- or, more notably, my ability to broadcast a game -- is.

As I've said, you never know where these roads will lead you.

Unfortunately, Iona Prep never found the lead tonight. They were down double figures and got within one but couldn't get the big shot to take over. The Gaels lost to the Royals.

Packing up, another gentleman walked over to my little broadcast desk behind the public address announcer and the scorer's table.

He just wanted to tell me that he had the game on his phone and he was listening from the bleachers on the other side of the gym. He also complimented my work, finishing by saying, "You do a great job."

Sometimes, I feel forgotten and disappointed when I don't get certain opportunities. I also know I get looked down on for not having what people consider to be "bigger" gigs. Personally, I'm just happy to keep working, wherever it is. I chose the path I'm on.

This has become a nice addition to my collection of broadcast sites.

I'm not "Voice of the Gaels" but that's OK. I have a couple of teams who like to call me their "voice" even if I resist calling myself that.

Three games do not a "voice" make and one shouldn't just walk in and announce they are that very thing.

No. They should not.

But these three games have been fun, despite the loss tonight.

Iona Prep and their fans seem to like what I'm doing. As I continue to sometimes wonder if I have a home, I'll take every kind word I can get.

Speaking of which, I'm back to Brunswick tomorrow with a long day ahead. I have basketball first there before driving to Poughkeepsie to call the Hudson Valley Vipers/Norfolk Mallards hockey game.

It's been a good stretch and my voice is surviving so we move to tomorrow.

No comments: