Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Hockey Hoopla

Tomorrow night at 6 p.m. and 7:45 p.m.

 

I'll just get to the point: tomorrow will be challenging and (I think) fun.

I'm calling three games in two states and traveling through three!

I committed to doing a hockey game in Bridgewater, NJ several weeks ago. It's the Rockets Hockey Club against the (love this name) Jersey Hitmen.

Sing along to The Sopranos theme song ("Woke Up This Morning" by Alabama 3)!

"Woke up this morning. You got yourself a gun. Got yourself a gun. Got yourself a gun." 

There will be some Wawa (breakfast? lunch? both?!?) and good hockey at 11:30 a.m.

Of course, it will air on FloHockey but, fear not, trusty Robcasting will be along for the audio.

But remember when I said I was paid a compliment on Monday by being asked to call more games? Well tomorrow's my lucky day!

I will finish in Bridgewater and start driving.

If you're not thinking about The Sopranos when you see this,
aren't you doing it wrong?

Hopefully, it will be a peaceful drive (ha! I kid!) as I return from New Jersey, into New York and across the (Tappan Zee) bridge and make my way into Connecticut.

I have until 6 p.m. before the faceoff of my next game. But, yes as you know, I'll want to be there much earlier.

I've been asked to call not one but two all-star games in the Power Prep Hockey League at Martire Family Arena at Sacred Heart University in Bridgeport.

I'm not too worried -- yet -- about the drive. In the best-laid plans department, I should -- key word -- be able to get from Bridgewater to Fairfield in time. In fact, as luck would have it, I'm told audio equipment is already set up and they just need me.

That takes a chunk off my mind so I can hopefully get there and do any remaining prep before they drop the puck on the 16U game at 6 p.m. A second game -- 18U -- is set for 7:45.

If you're not aware, I once did five -- yes, five -- hockey games at a world championship tournament in New Jersey back in 2019. Yes, it will test my energy, but I'm hopeful that my familiarity with the rhythm of a day like this will serve me well.

Oh, and coffee. Because of course.

Now, a word about broadcast partners. I think I've said before that I really don't mind working alone when calling a game. What I'm resistant to is someone working with me whom I've never met. It's happened where they literally walk over a few minutes before we go live and there's no chance to gauge any chemistry.

Would a partner be great for anything tomorrow? Sure, as it would save my voice a bit as well as my brain, which will be reaching for topics (not that I struggle with it). But the chemistry is so important in a booth as it's a partnership. Chris Erway and I work well because we get each other. We know the rhythm. I could bring him in to do hockey and we'd still sound in sync because know how it works.

I'm blessed in that every time someone is plopped next to me I'm able to make it work. But never think it's easy, friends. There are variables, and it's worse when you're carrying the whole thing.

Two of the best examples were the football games I did for Neversink Media in Orange County. Kevin Halpenny had me work with Norris Gipson for a game in Middletown and with Tom Faggione at Arlington High School. I'd never met -- or even talked to -- either of them before game day. Both were outstanding analysts and, in the case of Tom, we've become at least friends online.

The chemistry of a booth matters. That's why I reach for "my guys," if you will when I have the chance.

Or I just work alone (like today at Brunswick for basketball).

I think about the analysts -- the partners and friends -- I've been blessed to work with. It's a tremendous list from John Spang, Mark Smallwood, and Sean Kilkelly through Mark Rosen, Chris Kaelin, Chris Erway, and a lot of others. I've also been fortunate to bring friends in that I had a hunch about like Shawn Sailer and AJ Szymanowski, as well as Jake Zimmer and Dan Gardella.

Plus Harold, Mick, and other friends who have helped out on a few broadcasts.

And the pros like Sean Ford who allowed me into their booth.

And I'm forgetting countless other names.

This is a topic I've brought up many times but it's worth repeating. A booth should sound like you've been invited in to listen to a couple of friends talk call the game (and likely talk about some other topics).

And I suppose I'm blabbing but this exercise keeps me from overthinking tomorrow.

The equipment is packed up and ready to go. I've created rosters and whatever notes I can find.

I'll hit the road early for the first stop in New Jersey. 

After that, it is set up, breakdown, and back in the car. 

Of course, I need to call the game between setting up and breaking down. I also need to take care of my voice and throat.

Oh, and make sure to eat.

And relax.

And hopefully find a few minutes to write again tomorrow night.

It's chaos.

And I love it.

Follow along on social media and Robcasting tomorrow.

No comments: