Thursday, January 18, 2024

Snow Whine

 

Interstate 287 in Harrison, NY today

If the rain comes

They run and hide their heads

They might as well be dead

If the rain comes

If the rain comes

- "Rain" by Lennon/McCartney, 1966

The song "Rain" was written primarily by John Lennon "about people moaning about the weather all the time."

It's me. Tonight, I'm the whiner.

It's me.

Look, I said that it's supposed to snow in winter recently. That it's supposed to be cold.

We're awaiting our second dose of a small snowstorm this week. We might get one to three inches which, of course, is nothing to people in other parts of the country. In fact, they've got over three feet up near Buffalo, NY.

These little dumpy storms are just annoying. In the aftermath, with the air too cold to melt it, the area becomes gray and ugly.

That was my take as we got out of the house today.

Fearing we might be housebound tomorrow, it seemed like a good time to take a ride and go for a walk at The Westchester mall.

In White Plains, while others were at Tiffany's, Gucci, Rolex, and Louis Vuitton, Sean and I grabbed lunch in the food court and went to Newbury Comics.

The Funko vinyl Pop figures have long fascinated me, and I have a couple of them (Ferris Bueller and Terry Bradshaw) so I normally look at the wall full of them. 

As I was finishing up, one grabbed my eye.


Lou Gehrig. Nope, I couldn't resist it.

It's here now on my bookcase.

I'm hopeful that we'll get out tomorrow and that whatever is coming isn't that bad. Admittedly, not going out is just playing it safe and I don't see anything wrong with that.

But I looked at plane tickets to Florida just for fun.

Oh, we're going, but not likely until March.

So, yeah, John Lennon can certainly blame me.

When the snow comes, I run and hide my head.

Oh, and snow brings school postponements and cancelations.

That hurts me professionally because it means games get postponed and, chances are, they're rescheduled when I'm not available to work. Thus it hurts me in the checkbook.

People are also moaning at how easily schools get canceled or postponed these days but can you blame them? They have to look out for kids and teachers/staff, for that matter. I can't be angry at that.

The snow is pretty for a moment.

And then it's over.

I'm over it.

No comments: