Monday, January 22, 2024

A Compliment

 


Kind words go a long way.

To some, they're a way of life, and they reprint them with the regularity of eating meals.

I fear living like that because it just becomes too much about me.

As I've said many times, that's the problem with having to promote my own work. I get it. We have to toot our own horns a little bit. But there's still a limit, right?

I like letting my work speak for itself.

I hope people see the grinding and respect it. Occasionally, I hope a kind word and an opportunity come along.

I receive kindness at Brunswick -- especially with hockey -- that is off the charts. I don't really know why that is. My only guess is 1) hockey people are exceptionally great but also 2) I'm always among the hockey families when I do a game.

The compliments are humbling. There are families who believe I enhance the game. The love isn't universal, for the record. I have detractors also.

So it was tonight that I was standing in the lobby of the Sampson Athletic Center, drinking my cup of coffee and preparing for the hockey game between Brunswick and Elite Hockey Academy when Elite's coach walked over to me.

He asked if I was announcing and if I needed a roster. I had one but I won't say no since you never know if it's different. 

(Narrator: it was slightly different.)

I was shocked that he even recognized me.

Then he asked if I was available to be at Sacred Heart University's Martire Family Arena on Thursday night for two all-star games.

I looked at my calendar and, while I do have a hockey game in New Jersey that morning, I can get back in time for the games.

We exchanged contact info and I wished him well, along with thanking him for the offer. I went on to broadcast Brunswick's 5-4 win in overtime.


Oh, it's still not 100% sure if he needs me for play-by-play or PA announcing but I was overwhelmed that he thought of me for this.

Posting the same compliments over and over again really serves no purpose in my opinion.

It's the grinding. It's the hard work being put in and people noticing that. Hopefully, the quality also is of note.

To an extent, it's the social media posts to promote each broadcast on my personal pages. That's how Robcasting has become a little bit of a "thing." 

I just can't toot my own horn that much, despite the kind words in my memories at the top of this page. Humility remains so important.

And with each time I get knocked down, I try to get up, dust myself off, and keep moving.

And with the grind, other opportunities open up. I might have something up for summer baseball already, though I also keep hoping my friends in Trumbull reach out and fill the calendar up.

And I learn. I never stop.

So the week is tight with games now, including more with the Hudson Valley Vipers. We're trying to build those broadcasts also so I'll be back there on Saturday.

The grind continues.

No comments: