Saturday, January 06, 2024

My Kind of Doubleheader

 

First game: hockey

Early in the week, I received an email indicating that basketball at Brunswick that had been scheduled for Friday had been moved to Saturday at 1 p.m.

So the school asked me to call hockey on Friday, as I had intended, and then switch to basketball on Saturday, despite a hockey game at noon.

Then I noticed the websites for Brunswick and Cheshire Academy (the Bruins' hoops opponent) said the basketball game would start at 1:30.

Huh.

Then I got an email last night confirming that.

So...maybe I could do some of both games?

To be more precise, I'd show up early to call hockey before I'd walk over to the gym and call the whole basketball game.

I had the rosters since it was the same two hockey teams that I'd called on Friday.

But. I didn't have the Cheshire Academy basketball roster. 

It happens for one reason or another and I'm not going to shame anyone. While I do wish rosters were more readily available on a site like MaxPreps or somewhere else, that's just not always the case.

I realize someone is reading this in horror but it does happen. Fortunately, I can check the scorebook in basketball and normally get what I need in the worst case.

True story: there was a time when I had to use two microphones
to split my call between LocalLive and Robcasting. Needless
to say, it wasn't ideal and fortunately it's not like that now.

I arrived at Brunswick with plenty of time and went to the gym first. Concerned about the basketball roster, I began to think that I'd just focus on basketball and watch some hockey as an observer.

However, there was no table for me to set up at.

That's when it hit me.

Screw it. Go call the hockey game. I live for these challenges. 

I mean, why not? I had time to set up for hockey and I needed to set a time limit to come back to the gym. Even if I stayed for an hour that should get me well into the second period. It's not ideal but it works.

I had shown up with two sets of equipment so I was -- deep breath! -- prepared.

So I walked up to the balcony in the rink and set up for the hockey game. I minimized the setup so that it would be sufficient but still quick to break down.

From there, I was ready. I knew I belonged on the air, even if only for 45-50 minutes. To that end, the families smiled when they saw me walk in.

"I thought you were only doing basketball today," one parent said.

So I had the approval of the parents and the school. This was a no-lose situation.

I called just about half of the game, seeing the Bruins step out to a 3-0 lead in the second period. I was watching the time tick away and thought I might be getting risky when Brunswick scored for the third time. That was enough for me to feel like it was time to go.

I said farewell to the audience, explaining that Josh would keep the picture on the video camera going without any announcing.

I broke down within a few minutes and walked to the gym. 

Head basketball coach Steve Juricek knew my plan as I had run into him between periods of the hockey game.

I bounced back into the gym within a half-hour of tipoff. There was still no table but I'm used to grabbing a couple of chairs and utilizing that as a "desk." 

Second game: basketball

Once again, I set up quickly and kept my eye on Cheshire Academy for a roster.

The scorebook was my savior, and I sat on the floor with about 12 minutes to go to write the roster on my scorecard. I found a list online that helped me confirm spelling.

I was ready.

Not everything was perfect as the sound quality on the live feed wasn't great. A quick call to the LocalLive office took care of that and, with minimal fuss, I was live in time for the game to start.

And, as a completist, I put the hockey game on my phone.

And then, when the moment allowed, I called both games.

The hockey team wrapped up their 6-2 win but the basketball team was down 13 to the Cats from Cheshire.

The Bruins rallied and took the lead before the Cats snagged the victory.

Win some. Lose some.

It was a busy day on campus

As I broke the equipment down, someone stopped by and laughed.

"Are you heading to do wrestling now?" she said.

I told her that the crazy part of my brain thought about it but no. I'll step away and head home.

I suppose, if anything, I should have stopped in to assess the equipment setup in the wrestling room considering I'll be back there on Monday and we're not entirely sure the setup will work. But we'll cross that bridge then. Monday's potential wrestling broadcast attempt will be a classic case of "nothing ventured, nothing gained."

But, win or lose, today was a smashing success. I got in two broadcasts and now I know it can be done as I'm going to have to do it a few more times this winter.

I hate having to leave a game but we all understand why so that helps.

I walked out following basketball into the late afternoon as we expected snow here in Greenwich.

It's now snowing here.

No comments: