Monday, January 15, 2024

A Splendid Time is Guaranteed For All


 

Let me take you down...

My first job in radio was as a DJ, playing Whitney Houston at midnight to six in the morning on Majic 105.

While I deviated and played a few things that I liked, it was never really my taste in music. Adult contemporary could be rather bland. I'm all for "Yacht Rock" but that time of night could be brutal.

I've worked almost entirely in sports since. Obviously, I've done a lot of news and some other stuff but sports has been the vast majority. Of course, I've had the pleasure of hosting the Greenwich Town Party on WGCH for several years now.

Once in a rare while I'd get to dabble in music on the radio but I often thought about doing a radio show.

Now, it's happening.

Roughly a year in discussion, I'm thrilled to say I'm starting a Beatles radio show this Sunday morning at nine on WGCH.

The working title, which Sean likes, is "Meet the Beatles" and it will be a one-hour, er, magical mystery tour to examine the songs of the Fab Four and the world around them.

"Across the Universe" was in fact one of the many titles I bounced around as this will be a show about The Beatles' music but also their solo careers and the music of their influences and those they influenced. With that, there is much to examine, and I love that feeling. In other words, it's The Beatles universe.

Like "Doubleheader" I hope the show can be interactive and I do hope to welcome some guests. At the very least, I have friends who are Beatles fans and I know that can be a jumping-off point. Perhaps we can get other guests as well.

At first, I just want to find a rhythm so the first show will stick to the basics. It will be an introduction. 

But, as you can imagine, there will be a lot of ways this show can go.

I realize there are so many shows about the most famous band ever and, as with anything else, I'll have to find my way.

My first love in broadcasting will always be sports. Always. But I'm thrilled to do a music show and a show about a band that has meant so much to me.

Join me beginning this Sunday on WGCH (no Facebook live due to copyright issues) at 9 a.m. We'll figure out an archive if that is possible.

I'll be some days in preparation.

That should make some happy.

Yeah. Yeah. Yeah.

*****

(Photo: Paramount Plus)

The Steelers just lost to the Bills in the AFC Wild Card round. They got behind 21-0 and while they made it a game, the better team won. I congratulate the Bills and wish them well. They'll be tough through these playoffs.

See how easy that was? There were no cutesie names to put Buffalo down or 35 social media posts to mock or berate.

I think I posted once during the game and I said, "Welp."

Because that said it all.

Being a fan isn't often an easy thing because knowing how to win gracefully is every bit as tough as losing with dignity.

I hate to lose. Oh, I hate it.

But I thrive on trying to hold my head high. To do it any other way just makes sports fans look bad.

The team I root for got waxed but it also ended one of the most memorable seasons for me.

We got to Pittsburgh back in July, as training camp was rolling along. We visited Acrisute Stadium, checking out the Steelers' Hall of Honor.

We returned in early November and I went to my first game in almost 20 years. I also got to go with people that mean so much to me.

And I went because Sean wanted us to go. Now it could become an annual thing. We've already talked about next year.

But I feel no harm in losing to the Bills. I respect them and their fan base and I like Josh Allen. 

The reaction to the Cowboys losing last night reminded me of what it's like to be a Yankees fan.

And for the Green Bay Packers, all they need is Love (I'll see myself out now).

To that end, I'm ready for baseball.

No comments: