Friday, January 20, 2023

The Times They Are A-Changin'

 

(WABC)

Inevitably, it is going to happen.

The Washington football team -- formerly the Redskins. They changed.

The Cleveland baseball team. Indians no more.

St. John's University. The Redman is in the past.

On and on it has happened over the years. Back in 1978, Syracuse University changed from the Warriors -- the Saltine Warriors -- to the Orangemen. Well, gender was eventually eliminated and Syracuse became just the Orange.

And now, thanks mainly to New York State governor Kathy Hochul, the Mahopac Indians will likely change their name.

The governor, in conjunction with the state education department, has threatened to withhold state aid from any school that is not in compliance with removing Native American imagery.

And, well, there's Mahopac.

The Indians.

The school I graduated from.

The school I have broadcast for.

Needless to say, the story has gathered attention. Of course, many -- both in and out of Mahopac -- are not thrilled.

Those who are against the change are being mocked and called racist.

On the other hand, those in favor of the change are being called woke.

You know the deal. It's standard operating procedure.

Now, you say, what do you think?

I'll be sorry to see the Indians name go. I'm sorry to see politics getting involved when I'd like to believe there are more pressing concerns but so it goes.

If I'm coming off a little more resigned as opposed to many others, well, yes, I guess I am. As pro teams capitulate, and as many of the schools surrounding Mahopac do the same, I figured it was bound to happen.

That doesn't mean I'm content with it but I also figure I don't really get a say in it. My hope is that whoever is in charge of this decision comes up with something that is pleasing but that will be dealt with at another time.


When I was brought on to call Mahopac baseball and hockey, both teams were kind to give me some swag. I have a hat and a couple of hoodies that mean a lot to me.

I'll continue to wear them proudly.

There are much bigger things to fight in life.

I always liked the Native American history of Mahopac, with the name an Algonquian word for “lake of the great serpent.”

I've always been proud of my hometown. I've always been proud to be from my hometown, even in those moments that were less than proud. Oh, I've seen the good and the bad. 

Like it or not, the change it's coming. It's going to happen. I had to laugh that this is coming to be after I moved out.

I see Mahopac -- my hometown -- for what it is. I see it honestly. I also don't take kindly to it getting dumped on.

Yes, change is coming and I don't have to like it. This post isn't to start a fight and I won't do so.

We'll move forward.

I can still always be proud of having been a Mahopac Indian.



No comments: