Thursday, January 26, 2023

No Need To Talk

 

Tampa Bay from the Sunshine Skyway Bridge

OK, that picture has nothing to do with the post but I booked plane tickets to Tampa for the first time in 11 years while I was writing so yeah. 

I know the drill.

Let's face it. So do you.

For the past few years, I've used the #BellLetsTalk day to try to get us, well, talking about mental health.

And, basically, the words land with a thud.

Before you say, "Oh, but we read it!" I see the stats and, trust me, most of you didn't.

And it's OK.

We still struggle to talk about mental health and well-being for the very reasons I highlighted yesterday. Some of it is fear and some of it is in the "I'm fine! There's nothing to talk about" mentality. That is to say, nobody wants to talk about it. Or they're hiding.

So, yeah. I get it. 

Writing this blog every day means bleeding to an extent. I've done my fair share but, no, I haven't revealed everything in my life. No, I didn't need anyone to feed my ego but respond to the post. The post -- while including my own stories -- really wasn't meant to be about me. 

If anything, I only want to inspire and support in any way I can. So, in the small number of people who did read the post, if those words landed, then great. That's my hope.

But that bleeding can make me feel a bit raw. I'm a bit of an open wound at that point. 

It's not like I put out a poll to find out what content you want to read or what makes you click. This process is very inexact. Certain posts connect and others don't for whatever reason.

So I had a feeling last night was a swing and a miss.

"Bell? Is that the old telephone company?"

"Oh, they're a Canadian company? Well, you write an American blog!"

"Mental health? Oh, hells no!"

Those aren't real quotes. They're sort of how I see any conversation playing out.

While I make light of this, what I don't make light of is there are too many people hiding because they think they don't need help.

Help, of course, is best handled by a professional but sometimes it's as simple as speaking out and admitting you have a concern whatever it may be.

So my offer remains available. If you need someone to talk to, I'm here.

I did basketball today. I'll call more tomorrow.

Two more on Sunday.

No comments: