Tuesday, January 17, 2023

In Session

Using this since I watched the revived "Night Court" tonight

 

I set an alarm this morning.

Of course, I was up before it. Part me. Part cat.

But I was soon up, coffee brewing, and logging on.

5:30 a.m. Plenty of time for the long commute to my desk, ten feet away.

Oh, I've started earlier. I had to get up at 2:30 a.m. I've also gone to bed after 5 a.m. from times that I went to the office for an overnight case or cases that I did from home.

It had been a few weeks since I'd been in the video deposition world. Things get quiet around the holidays and it can take a moment for cases to ramp back up. Yet, when there is an interesting start time, my phone buzzes.

Log on at 6 a.m.? Case starts at 7 a.m.? Sure!

Obviously, I can't discuss the cases. I can tell you that I've dealt with people in far-off places and that's certainly interesting. 

China.

Japan.

England.

Taiwan.

Belgium.

Italy.

Hawaii.

Connecticut. In fact, each time zone of the United States.

Well, you get the idea.

Each case starts by going to the computer and hoping there is a link to the case in my email.

Then it's setting up.

Often I'm the one opening and closing the meeting, so I'm setting up my audio and video needs and confirming things are as I like.

I have a backup running as well, primarily for audio purposes. It's a way for me to reach out if something is wrong and it's another way for me to monitor things. It allows me to not have to wear a headset for hours as I run the backup audio into my mixer so that I can hear the case on speakers.

In those moments of setting up I also have to start the paperwork for logging hours and pertinent details. This is in part to make sure my read-on is ready when everyone is set to begin.

From there, it's just connecting with the people on the Zoom meeting. I talk with the court reporter and other officials. I say hello to lawyers and confirm I can hear the witness.

There's an element of just monitoring, and making sure everyone is OK. I'm a set of eyes and ears for technical concerns and anything else that grabs me.

The points that I matter are when I do my read-on with the details of the case. I start it and I close it. I take us on and off the record. I'm not seen a lot, mostly at the beginning when I say hello.

Then, I'm in the background. To be honest, I can't tell you much about the case because it becomes background noise and I like it that way. It's rare that a deposition grabs me.

But, as was noted when I first interviewed for this position, I have the ability to perk up at the right points. I can tell the change in cadence among those speaking, indicating that it's time for a break. I swoop in and off we go.

And I'm ready when it's time to go back on.

Once the case has ended, I have to complete filling out my paperwork and prepare the files to be uploaded so that they can head to the proper parties. Normally the process doesn't take long unless the circumstances are unique.

Then it's all over. I've had cases that busted and, as such, didn't happen. I've had cases that have been an hour long. I've had cases that were 11 hours long. It all depends. They're the stars.

It's an interesting world. It can be taxing in its own ways but diligence is the star. So is reliability. I'm expected to be both. There can be stress -- especially in my desire to do it all correctly.

To some, I'm simply "the videographer." I'm nameless. Meh. So be it. It's better than being "Mr. Adams" I suppose.

Much like being a board operator at a radio station, things flow smoothly until something happens. That's when a cool hand is needed. Oh, there are stories as always.

The most accessible story is the night we briefly lost power during a storm in Mahopac. It was so fast that the computer didn't die. I have a battery backup that kept me on.

But the internet briefly died. Yeah. That's not good.

The phone rang and I said I'd have us back on ASAP. I did. But if you know me you know I felt horrible. As if it was my fault.

Overall, everyone is nice and professional and it works. Customer service skills help a lot. Be patient and stay calm. Be soothing. Take a deep breath.

But, like everything I do (yes, even broadcasting) I prefer to be invisible. Do the job and hopefully do it well.

Hopefully, they remember and some do. I've been requested a few times.

Now it looks like Sean might try his hand at this also. I just introduce people to Sean and it's up to him to get the gig from there. We'll see where this takes him.

It's taken me to good places. I can never forget that. The pandemic had stopped me from working, save for some game broadcasts that summer. Otherwise, I was the co-manager of Nancy, Inc., in charge of taking care of my mother.

When she passed, I had a moment of wondering exactly what was next for me. 

The meeting for this came not long after and I started almost immediately. I thought this might also be a good thing for Sean. There's an autonomy that he will appreciate if it works out.

And, to be honest, there are more things in the pipeline than video depositions. 

It's just fitting it into my schedule.

Today, it worked.

Tomorrow, it won't. I have something else on the calendar.

But it all works out.

No comments: